Sandro Tonali and Nicolo Zaniolo ‘have had their phones seized by police investigating betting breaches’ before the stars joined Newcastle and Aston Villa… with the pair ‘almost in tears after being grilled by families’
- Sandro Tonali and Nicolo Zaniolo has left Italy’s camp amid betting investigation
- The pair reportedly had their phones seized after being questioned by police
- Listen to the latest episode of Mail Sport’s podcast ‘It’s All Kicking Off!’
Italy stars Sandro Tonali and Nicolo Zaniolo have reportedly had their phones seized by police as they continue their investigation into alleged betting breaches.
Tonali, who plays for Newcastle United, and Zaniolo – an Aston Villa player – both left Italy’s training camp for their upcoming games against Malta and England after reports from the country’s media that police had attended to question the pair.
The investigation was first reported by Fabrizio Corona, who was formerly known as Italy’s ‘king of the paparazzi’. Corona alleged on his website Dillinger News that more players were involved, later naming both Tonali and Zaniolo.
Italian authorities ban players from betting on football matches but not from other types of gambling.
A player found to have bet on matches could face a ban of at least three years and fine under Italian Football Federation rules.
Newcastle star Sandro Tonali and Nicolo Zaniolo have reportedly had their phones seized by police amid an investigation into alleged breaches of betting rules
Their pair (not pictured) both left Italy’s training camp after reportedly being questioned by police
Your browser does not support iframes.
On Friday the story escalated after Gazzetta reported that Tonali and Zaniolo had both had phones taken by police as part of their investigation into the case.
La Repubblica later claimed that the pair had been left on the verge of tears when explaining the situation to their families and agents insisting they had never betted on games.
The report alleges that Zaniolo had told his loved ones, ‘It was just poker and blackjack, never football.’
The Italian FA confirmed the pair had both left their camp this week.
Tonali only joined Newcastle in the summer after leaving Italian side AC Milan
There were reports that Zaniolo – who is on loan with Aston Villa from Galatasaray – was almost in tears along with Tonali while being grilled by loved ones
‘The Federation announces that, in the late afternoon of today, the Turin Public Prosecutor’s Office notified investigation documents to the players Sandro Tonali and Nicolo Zaniolo, currently in training with the national team at the Federal Technical Center in Coverciano,’ an Italian FA statement read.
‘Regardless of the nature of the acts, believing that in this situation the two players are not in the necessary condition to face the commitments scheduled in the next few days, the Federation has decided, also to protect them, to allow them to return to their respective clubs.’
Tonali moved to Newcastle in the summer for £52million this summer from AC Milan, having played for his boyhood club from 2020.
The transfer window also saw Zaniolo move to the Premier League, with the 24-year-old joining Aston Villa on loan from Turkish side Galatasaray.
Prosecutors confirmed this week Juventus midfielder Nicolo Fagioli is also under investigation
Zaniolo had joined Galatasaray in February from Roma, after playing for the Italian side from 2018 to 2023.
Juventus midfielder Nicolo Fagioli is also being investigated for alleged illegal betting activities.
Fagioli’s lawyers Luca Ferrari and Armando Simbari confirmed the investigation in a statement.
‘Our client is dealing with the matter responsibly, with a view to maximum transparency and collaboration with the ordinary and sporting judicial authorities,’ Fagioli’s lawyers said.
‘Nicolo is calm and fully focused on Juventus and the Serie A.’
IT’S ALL KICKING OFF!
It’s All Kicking Off is an exciting new podcast from Mail Sport that promises a different take on Premier League football, launching with a preview show today and every week this season.
It is available on MailOnline, Mail+, YouTube , Apple Music and Spotify
Your browser does not support iframes.
Source: Read Full Article