Kalvin Phillips has revealed Gareth Southgate has told him he must find regular first team football to hold on to his Euro 2024 place. The Manchester City midfielder was a controversial choice for the game against Italy at Wembley on Tuesday night having once again found him out of contention for a regular starting place at the Etihad.
Even with Rodri suspended, Pep Guardiola has preferred to play youngster Rico Lewis in the heart of midfield.
It means there is a very real danger that Phillips will be badly off the pace by the tournament in the summer.
It is something that Southgate has already discussed with the 27-year-old, with Newcastle, West Ham , Everton and Bayern Munich among those clubs ready to step in if Phillips decides to seek a change of direction in January.
“I know that I need to be playing games and competing every weekend,” Phillips said. “I’m going to have to make a decision on my future over the next few months.
“Gareth Southgate just says that for me to keep my spot I have to be playing games. That’s what I want to do. I have agreed with Gareth on that.
“I want to play football and want to play as much as possible. Over the last year and a half, I haven’t been able to do that due to injuries and other reasons.
“It’s something I am going to have to think about. Hopefully, my chance does come but if it doesn’t then I will have to make other decisions as well.”
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Source: Read Full Article