Everton 1-1 Fulham (6-7 pens): Visitors triumph after shootout

Everton 1-1 Fulham (6-7 pens): Visitors book their place in the Carabao Cup semi-finals after dramatic penalty shootout… after Beto cancelled out Michael Keane’s first-half own-goal

  • Everton and Fulham’s clash had to be decided via a penalty shootout on Tuesday
  • Mikel Arteta booked again, other bosses getting yellows. If you are going to eradicate these ills, KEEP DOING IT, REFS! Listen to It’s All Kicking Off 

Everton legend Peter Reid said at Bill Kenwright’s memorial service on Monday that there would be no tribute to the former chairman greater than winning a trophy. A drought that started in 1995 continued last night as the Toffees fell to a penalty shoot-out defeat to Fulham.

It wasn’t for the want of trying but ultimately, their hopes of silverware were going to be dashed by Marco Silva, an old occupant of the Goodison Park dugout who was back to haunt his old club and win at this stadium for the second time this season.

Everton went behind after an unfortunate Michael Keane own goal in the first half but rallied well and forced penalties after Beto’s 82nd-minute equaliser. Amadou Onana and Idrissa Gana Gueye missed their kicks as Fulham won 7-6 after eight kicks apiece.

Tosin Adarabioyo scored the winner for Fulham as goalkeeper Bernd Leno charged over to the away end to celebrate a famous win, with him earlier making a save. Gueye’s penalty hit the post before defender Tosin dispatched underneath Jordan Pickford.

After a run of four wins in a row this month with no goals conceded, Everton’s defence was finally breached here. It came against the run of play as the Toffees dominated proceedings but found themselves behind for much of the game.

Fulham secured their place in the Carabao Cup semi-finals after victory on Tuesday night

The Cottagers tookthe lead after Michael Keane (second from the right) scored an own-goal

Keane was left in a heap on the ground as the Fulham players wheeled away in celebration

Striker Beto pulled the hosts level in the second-half but it wasn’t enough for the Toffees

Tosin Adarabioyo scored the crucial spot-kick to earn them a place in the final four

Your browser does not support iframes.

It was far from silver service for Silva’s side, who needed an unfortunate Michael Keane own goal to go ahead in a game in which they barely threatened, and it looked to move Fulham a step closer to winning the first cup in their history until Beto’s equaliser.

This was Fulham’s first quarter-final in this competition since 2004 and sixth overall. They had lost all previous five. But the Cottagers seemed to play within themselves and sit deep. Given Everton are a team that thrive as a counter-attacking outfit, it made for a rather drab affair.

Neither team had a shot until the 25th minute, when in-form Dwight McNeil fired high and wide from close range at a narrow angle. But that attempt, plus relentless work-rate and pressing, seemed to awaken the Goodison Park faithful and Everton responded with a flurry of chances.

Jarrad Branthwaite, back after a suspension but in the unusual role of left-back, marauded down that side like a gazelle, with the lanky defender getting into good areas but perhaps lacking the final ball. He also had a chance of his own but his header was weak and straight at Bernd Leno.

Fulham did not have an attempt until 40 minutes when Willian’s free kick went underneath the wall and inches wide, with Jordan Pickford rooted to the spot. The England No 1 was also helpless minutes later when the away side went ahead against the run of play.

Everton lost the ball cheaply in midfield, prompting stand-in striker Rodrigo Muniz – Raul Jimenez was suspended – to charge forward and feed full-back Antonee Robinson. He looked to send a fizzed cross in, which inadvertently deflected off Keane for an own goal.

For a team that had won their last four games without conceding a goal, it was perhaps an overdue slice of bad luck. Everton nearly equalised with the very next attack as James Tarkowski glanced a header narrowly wide, but the Fulham goal punctured the atmosphere.

But the crowd was soon incensed by a number of refereeing decisions that went against him, plus some close calls as Jack Harrison shot narrowly wide and then Dominic Calvert-Lewin nearly nicked the ball from Leno after the German keeper was sold short with a backpass.

Beto rose highest to nod home for his side in the latter moments of the second-half

Sean Dyche (L) and Marco Silva (R) watched on as their sides battled away on Tuesday night


It’s All Kicking Off is an exciting new podcast from Mail Sport that promises a different take on Premier League football, with a show every Monday and Thursday this season.

It is available on MailOnline, Mail+, YouTube , Apple Music and Spotify

Your browser does not support iframes.

Sean Dyche threw on summer signings Beto and Arnaut Danjuma, both who have been forced to be patient for chances, as they commenced an aerial bombardment into Fulham’s box. But despite a vast territorial advantage, they struggled to turn possession into chances.

Beto was denied by Leno on 75 minutes after a delightful reverse pass from Amadou Onana, while Dwight McNeil also had a chance that was well blocked by the outstretched leg of Tosin as Everton’s superiority grew.

But Beto finally got his moment on 82 minutes. Fulham failed to clear their lines twice as a clearance hit Gueye and James Garner’s half-volley was struck at the thigh of Robinson. The ball looped into the air and Beto headed home.

Pickford denied Bobby Decordova-Reid in the shoot-out but an awfully tame effort from Onana followed and we went to sudden death. Gueye struck the post before Tosin confidently finished to book Fulham’s place in the semi-finals.

Source: Read Full Article