Novak Djokovic ‘has no right to be here’ as Australian Open star vents vaccine fury

Djokovic’s return: Australian Open players are 'not so happy'

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Novak Djokovic has ‘no right to be here’ according to Australian Open star Marton Fucsovics. The Serb has been given the green light to play in the competition following a judge’s ruling on Monday. However, despite that, there’s still a chance the 34-year-old won’t be allowed to take to the court.

On Monday, Federal Court judge Anthony Kelly said Djokovic should be permitted the chance to take part in this year’s showpiece tournament.

“A professor and qualified physician provided the applicant a medical exemption,” said Kelly.

“The basis of which was given by an independent expert panel established by the state government… that document was in the hands of the [immigration official who cancelled Djokovic’s visa].

“The point I’m somewhat agitated about is, what more could this man have done?”

https://sportstoft.com/soccer/man-utd-have-a-concerning-double-act-despite-ralf-rangnick-securing-aston-villa-win/

That means that, for the time being, fans can expect to see Djokovic take to the Rod Laver Arena.

However, Wimbledon quarter-finalist Marton Fucsovics thinks the world No 1 shouldn’t be allowed to play due to the fact he’s unvaccinated.

THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz

Speaking to Hungarian outlet M4Sport, he said: “People’s health is paramount, and there are rules that were outlined months ago, namely that everyone should vaccinate themselves – and Djokovic didn’t.

“From this point of view, I don’t think he would have the right to be here.”

The Hungarian, who lost to Djokovic at both Wimbledon and in the Paris Masters last year, also feels he’s not the only player on the tour to have that opinion.

He claimed that news of the Serb being given an exception had sparked a negative reaction from many other stars.

Yet he may yet get his wish to see Djokovic denied the chance to play.

Australian immigration minister Alex Hawke has refused to rule out intervening, saying in a statement: “It remains within immigration minister Hawke’s discretion to consider cancelling Mr Djokovic’s visa under his personal power of cancellation within the Migration Act.

“The minister is considering the matter and the process remains ongoing.”

There are also questions over a declaration form Djokovic had to fill in before he jetted out to the country.

On the form, which he filled in on January 1, the Serb said he hadn’t travelled in the 14 days prior to his flight.

However, there were photos on Christmas Day that appeared to show the world No 1 in Belgrade – whereas he flew to Melbourne from Spain on January 4.

So that means Djokovic could yet find himself denied the chance to win a record 21st Grand Slam and 10th Australian Open crown.

Amid the drama, Rafael Nadal has spoken out.

And he feels the right decision has been made to let Djokovic play, despite previously criticising the player for not being jabbed.

“It seems perfect to me, totally correct,” said the Spaniard.

“Whether or not you agree with some of the things regarding Djokovic, justice has spoken and has said that he has the right to play in the Australian Open, and that’s really the fairest way.”

Djokovic’s father Srdjan, meanwhile, praised Kelly’s decision to let his son play.

“Over the past few days, it’s been very, very difficult for everyone in the world who is free thinking. But he is mentally extremely, extremely strong,” he said at a press conference on Monday.

”They took away all his rights his rights, as a human being. He refused to revoke his visa.

“They gave him no right to prepare his defence for several hours, and they took away his phone.

“Fortunately they gave him back his phone. He contacted his legal team who mounted a fantastic defence, that they could not match.

“This is a huge win for Novak, his family and the free world. He respected everything that was asked of him. He only wanted to go there to play tennis and that right he wanted to take away from them.

“Justice and the rule of law have prevailed. The judge who presided over the case has shown that not for second was Novak the guilty party.

“The judge was fantastic, he simply respected the facts. He took the only decision that was possible which was to release Novak.”

Source: Read Full Article