Nadal’s ‘good friend’ Borg asked if Spaniard will be at French Open

Bjorn Borg played coy as he was asked about Rafael Nadal’s chances at the French Open. The Swedish tennis legend was regarded as the ‘King of Clay’ before Nadal burst onto the scene, and Borg now counts him as a “good friend”.

Nadal has raised doubts over his French Open chances as he continues to battle with a psoas injury he picked up at the Australian Open almost four months ago. The world No 14 recently pulled out of the Rome Masters after missing Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Madrid.

The 36-year-old’s latest withdrawal came after he announced he was changing his treatment plan after missing the Madrid Open. And he did give a somewhat positive update when confirming his absence in Italy as he said there had already been “improvements” though he still wasn’t ready to compete.

Borg has now weighed into Nadal’s hopes of playing at the French Open, where the Spaniard is a 14-time champion. “Rafa is a good friend of mine. I know he’s struggling a little bit with his body, I’ve known that for a long time,” the 11-time Grand Slam champion told Eurosport.

Just in
Andy Murray’s mum Judy books £15 Ryanair flight to watch title win[LATEST]

While the retired tennis icon shared his hopes to see Nadal in Paris, he confessed that the 36-year-old wouldn’t compete if his body still wasn’t ready. Borg added: “Unfortunately, he’s not going to play Rome, but we want to see him at the French Open.

“If he’s not going to be fit, he’s not going to play. But Rafa is Rafa, he’s one of the greatest ever to play the game. I hope he is going to play the French Open.”

Don’t miss…
Murray’s wife makes pregnancy promise as Brit closes in on retirement[QUTOES]
Alcaraz confirms intentions to dethrone Djokovic in French Open blow[REACTION]
Madrid Open ball girls spotted wearing new outfits after ‘sexism’ row[UPDATE]

Borg – who has been Nadal’s Team Europe captain at the Laver Cup on three occasions – stayed coy when he was pressed further on whether he thought the 22-time Grand Slam champion could mount a comeback at Roland Garros. “Maybe,” he said.

There had previously been positive signs from the Nadal camp that he would be in Rome this week but the Spaniard announced his withdrawal after meeting with his doctor on Friday. “I am very sorry to announce that I will not be able to be in Rome. You all know how much it hurts me to miss another one of the tournaments that have marked my professional and personal career for all the love and support of the Italian fans,” he wrote.

Source: Read Full Article