Steve McManaman reckons Jurgen Klopp's young guns can make their mark next season.
Liverpool finally lifted the Premier League trophy in July after the campaign was derailed by the coronavirus pandemic.
It was the Reds' first title since Kenny Dalglish secured glory in 1990.
Trent Alexander-Arnold, who featured in every league game last term, was a standout performer and bagged the 2019/20 Young Player of the Season award.
The local lad progressed through the youth ranks at Liverpool and has established himself as one of the best attacking right-backs in the world.
McManaman is convinced that there's now another crop of starlets ready to bridge the gap from under-23 football to the big time.
"There are kids in the academy who are doing well and could step forward," he said.
"One or two can certainly be integrated into that first-team situation. They can travel with them every game and being around the senior players helps their development.
"You can accommodate two in certain matches, but you still need to keep the nucleus of proper first-team players if you are going to win the Champions League and Premier League.
"Curtis Jones has been brilliant and so has Neco Williams.
"I work at the academy and I'd love to see them involved and playing more games. I hope that's the next step."
Ongoing issues surrounding COVID-19 means this transfer window is set to be like nothing that’s gone before.
Clubs will have until October 5 to bring in fresh faces.
But after Liverpool finished a hefty 18 points clear of Manchester City, Pep Guardiola has already splashed the cash in a bid to get back on top.
The Spaniard handed over £40m to bring in Nathan Ake from relegated Bournemouth. Ferran Torres was also acquired for £20m from cash-strapped La Liga heavyweights Valencia.
Liverpool, meanwhile, have spent relatively modestly with the Community Shield just seven days away.
Klopp sanctioned the £11.75m arrival of left-back Konstantinos Tsimikas from Olympiakos as cover for Andrew Robertson.
McManaman has warned his former club that more arrivals will be required if they want to retain their title, though.
"It's very uncertain times financially," he added.
"But if you are losing players like Dejan Lovren and Adam Lallana you also need to bring in experience as it keeps the momentum going while integrating youngsters.
"You need squad rotation to battle on three or four fronts and you want to sign quality players.
"I would ideally prefer a slightly bigger squad. And, the way they play, another great forward would be useful."
Liverpool have already missed out on German sensation Timo Werner. Klopp had been sniffing around, but Chelsea acted decisively and announced his £47.5m arrival in June.
Werner isn't expected to be the only player that swaps the Bundesliga for the Premier League this summer.
Jadon Sancho is wanted by Manchester United. Borussia Dortmund, however, aren't willing to play ball.
They imposed a deadline of August 10 to agree any deal. The England international also happens to be valued at an eye-watering £100m.
Sancho has reported back for pre-season training and Michael Zorc – Dortmund's sporting director – is adamant that his prized asset is going nowhere.
Another Dortmund sensation, Erling Haaland, was hotly tipped to move to Old Trafford earlier this year. But Ole Gunnar Solskjaer couldn't get a deal over the line while he was still a Red Bull Salzburg player.
Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Kai Havertz, meanwhile, is being tracked by Chelsea.
McManaman, who won two La Liga titles with Real Madrid after leaving Liverpool in 1999, says the Premier League isn't the be-all and end-all for Europe's best youngsters.
"For Sancho, Haaland and Havertz I'd let them play in Germany and establish themselves a bit more," he explained.
"I don't think they need to come and jump into the Premier League. And in Sancho's case, he's still got a chance to win titles with Dortmund. I'd encourage him to stay in the Bundesliga if he's still happy enough."
Source: Read Full Article