Don’t wait 30 years – sign up for our daily football email newsletter today!
Tottenham Hotspur have been given a bye into the fourth round of the Carabao Cup after their game against Leyton Orient was called off.
It comes after a number of players and staff at the League Two club tested positive for coronavirus.
The decision means Tottenham will now host fellow Premier League side Chelsea in the fourth round of the competition.
In a statement, the EFL said: "In accordance with Carabao Cup Rules, Tottenham Hotspur have been awarded with a bye to progress to Round Four of the Carabao Cup and will now play Chelsea on Tuesday 29 September (kick off 7.45pm).
"The Round Three tie scheduled for Tuesday 22 September between Leyton Orient and Tottenham Hotspur could not take place following the issue by Waltham Forest Borough Council of an order preventing the match being played as planned.
"This followed a number of Leyton Orient players testing positive for COVID-19.
"The EFL Board has determined that in line with Carabao Cup Rule 5.1, the Club was unable to fulfil its obligations to complete the fixture by virtue of the Council’s order and shall therefore forfeit the tie."
Premier League threaten to 'pull out' of Carabao Cup over EFL coronavirus testing
In response to the news, Orient head coach Ross Embleton said: "We’re devastated that this has happened, but this club is used to setbacks.
"It’s really important that players, staff and supporters stick together through tough times."
Orient's owner Nigel Travis has previously claimed that giving Spurs a bye would persuade other EFL clubs not to test their players.
Get the latest transfer news straight into your inbox!
Want to be on the ball with Jadon Sancho to Manchester United updates? Or perhaps you're a Chelsea fan wondering who on earth could join next?
Well then sign up for the brilliant new Daily Star Sport email newsletter!
From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox.
How do you sign up?
It only takes a matter of seconds.
Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.
And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.
You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.
"If I was doing this again I would not do the testing," he told BBC Radio 5 Live. "This is an incentive not to test and that is bad for football and bad for health and safety.
"That's why we can't be punished over this. People should be incentivised to take the test, especially when Premier League clubs with their resources give us the opportunity to have all our players tested."
- Tottenham Hotspur FC
- League Cup
- Leyton Orient FC
Source: Read Full Article