Philippe Coutinho makes Man Utd transfer decision as Ed Woodward plots shock raid

Manchester United are reportedly interested in signing Philippe Coutinho this summer but the Barcelona star has ruled out a move to Old Trafford because of his previous association with Liverpool.

Coutinho struggled to make an impact at Barcelona following his big-money move in January 2018.

The Brazilian has since been shipped out to Bayern Munich on loan until the end of the season.

Going forward the 27-year-old’s future is up in the air as he has been linked with a potential return to the Premier League.

But Spanish publication Sport claim Coutinho has vetoed a move to Old Trafford because he has previously played for Liverpool.

United chief Ed Woodward was said to have made contact with the Catalan giants over a potential summer switch.

However, Coutinho has quickly nipped those links in the bud as he has apparently named the Red Devils as the only team he would not play for.

It means United will have to look elsewhere to fill their attacking midfielder void.

Aston Villa star Jack Grealish is believed to be their top target, while Leicester ace James Maddison is also under consideration.

Coutinho’s decision will come as a huge boost to both Tottenham and Chelsea, who are said to be weighing up a move.

READ MORE

  • Man Utd and Chelsea plan to hijack Liverpool transfer plan

Last summer Spurs apparently made an approach to sign Coutinho and Frank Lampard could push a deal through when the window reopens.

But Chelsea legend Frank Leboeuf has advised the Blues against splashing the cash on the playmaker.

“Coutinho has been good with Liverpool, so far poor with Barcelona and Bayern Munich,” he told ESPN FC.

“I would have lots of question marks seeing him coming to Chelsea, to bring what?

“We have young players, very talented, who are very promising. We have good midfield players with [Mateo] Kovacic and Jorginho, to organise the game.

“I don’t know where his place would be. If I was the chairman, if I was the coach, I would be very hesitant to pick him up.”

However, for now the transfer window remains shut and it is unclear if it will open on time because the worldwide coronavirus epidemic has postponed all elite football in England until April 30 at the very earliest.

Source: Read Full Article