Norwich slam claims they have given up and don’t care about survival but winless Canaries have no hiding place ahead of visit of Leeds on Sunday
- Norwich staring at relegation after winning just two points in first nine games
- Canaries were trounced 7-0 by Premier League leaders Chelsea last week
- Sporting director Stuart Webber said club haven’t accepted their fate yet
- Norwich boss Daniel Farke spent £70 million on players in the summer
Norwich can take the criticism for getting battered 7-0 in ‘diabolical’ fashion at Chelsea.
They can also accept it if anyone wants to question their recruitment strategy.
But as the goals flew in at Stamford Bridge last Saturday, the Canaries knew what would be coming — more flak, and repetition of what they consider myths about their approach to staying in the Premier League.
Norwich are on course to become the Premier League’s worst ever side after their torrid start
Ahead of tomorrow’s crunch clash against Leeds, it was time to set the record straight.
Norwich have been angered by some of the claims made about them, particularly accusations they are just along for the ride and lack the ambition to stay up.
During their previous Premier League campaign, that could be reasonably argued after they spent just £1.5million on permanent signings.
Their primary aim was to use the money earned from promotion to get back on a sound financial footing and improve the club’s infrastructure — around £20m has been pumped in to transform the training ground and parts of the stadium.
The Canaries have scored just two goals in the first nine Premier League games this season
Norwich are staring a sixth relegation in the face just two years on from their record fifth
Norwich ended up going down with a whimper and their winless start to this league season has prompted what club chiefs consider ‘disgraceful’ and ‘disrespectful’ comments.
‘People have wrongly judged us,’ sporting director Stuart Webber said. ‘People who don’t know us, our club have taken no effort to look for any insights or research.
‘To say that we’ve accepted relegation already, it’s a disgrace. Either we sit here and be that nice little Norwich, or we fight back.’
Suggestions they are just looking to take the Premier League money again and run are countered by the fact that Norwich’s £70 million summer outlay made them the 11th highest spenders in Europe.
Norwich City boss Daniel Farke is under pressure following his side’s poor start to the season
Norwich sporting director Steve Webber believes the club have been judged too harshly
It is the most they have spent in one window and left them with a squad full of internationals, including touted youngsters Josh Sargent, Christos Tzolis, Milot Rashica and Ozan Kabak.
‘We went to war without a gun last time, and now we have gone to war with more ammunition,’ Webber said.
‘People talk about a lack of ambition — that is wrong. Last time it could be levelled at us but definitely not this time.’
Norwich have an internal saying for tough times about the need to keep the sharks off the island. They are circling now and Norwich have to find a way to fend them off.
Norwich hit a new low as they conceded seven against league leaders Chelsea last weekend
That won’t be easy as the negativity is starting to seep into the fanbase, and there is also a resignation beginning to set in among some of Daniel Farke’s squad about whether they are good enough to survive.
Despite failing to win any of his last 19 Premier League games, Farke feels secure in his job.
He signed a new four-year contract in May. But there is a concern held by some players about a lack of clarity in what they are trying to do, and also about them being too open in certain games.
Yet Webber insists they believe they can stay up this time.
He added: ‘The one positive when you get beaten 7-0 is you’ve got nowhere to hide. We’ve got no choice but to put on a performance (against Leeds).
‘These are the weeks where we need to stand up and react or hide. And the hide bit can’t be an option.’
Source: Read Full Article