Premier League transfer rumours – January 14th
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Newcastle United are widely expected to be active for the duration of the January transfer window despite already having made a couple of promising signings over the last few weeks. Sevilla defender Diego Carlos is reportedly close to becoming the club’s third arrival of the new year after Kieran Trippier and Chris Wood agreed deals to join the Magpies earlier this month.
Newcastle are nearing a £30million deal to bring Carlos to St James’ Park and are confident of wrapping up proceedings ahead of Saturday’s match against Leeds United, according to the Daily Mail.
However, it seems unlikely that the club’s big-spending owners will look to ease off the gas between now and the end of the month.
They are also said to be keen on landing another central defender, a striker and a midfielder ahead of the deadline.
A number of high-profile names have been linked with the club as of late, but it remains to be seen how many players of a certain standard would be prepared to join their ongoing relegation battle at the foot of the Premier League table.
With that in mind, Express Sport takes a look at three potential targets that could improve Newcastle’s fortunes if they are snapped up during the final weeks of the January window.
JUST IN: Duncan Ferguson makes stance on taking Everton job permanently ‘clear’
Newcastle have already been heavily linked with a move for Zapata, who is currently plying his trade with Atalanta.
The 30-year-old has scored 12 goals in all competitions since the beginning of the campaign and has bagged at least 15 goals in each of his last three seasons.
His arrival would provide the likes of Wood with some additional high-quality competition for a starting berth in the absence of Callum Wilson, who is currently sidelined with a long-term injury.
However, reports have suggested that Atalanta could decide to hold out for a lucrative transfer fee in order to take advantage of Newcastle’s enviable financial situation.
Freiburg defender Schlotterbeck has already earned comparisons to the likes of Mats Hummels for his no-nonsense approach to the game in spite of his tender years.
The 22-year-old is another name to have been mentioned in connection with Newcastle in recent weeks and has the potential to emerge as a long-term solution at the heart of Eddie Howe’s back four.
The Magpies have already been turned down once by Schlotterbeck, according to Sky Germany, but could be set to reap the rewards of a renewed approach for his services between now and the end of the window
They have shipped 43 league goals since the beginning of the campaign and are in desperate need of a new first-choice central defender to steady the ship, with the Freiburg man able to fit the bill for years to come.
FOLLOW OUR NEW DAILY EXPRESS SPORT INSTAGRAM PAGE
Newcastle may also decide to chase an ambitious move for RB Leipzig playmaker Haidara, who has been strongly linked with Manchester United as of late.
It has been suggested that a Tyneside move for the Mali international could soon emerge as a real possibility if the Red Devils continue to stall in their pursuit of his signature.
Haidara is said to have a release clause of £33million that will become active in the summer, but it remains to be seen whether Newcastle will try and nip ahead of United by launching a bid for the 23-year-old over the coming weeks.
His arrival would certainly provide an injection of much-needed quality in the middle of the park for the Magpies, who have struggled to take control of matches on a weekly basis this season.
Source: Read Full Article