Premier League transfer rumours: Newcastle set sights on Chris Wood
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Newcastle United are reportedly eyeing five potential loanees, including the likes of Manchester United forward Anthony Martial and Tottenham winger Steven Bergwijn, in order to aid their ongoing bid for Premier League survival. The Magpies currently occupy 19th place in the table after winning just one match since the beginning of the campaign.
However, Eddie Howe’s side remain just two points adrift of safety and will fancy their chances of retaining their top-flight status between now and the end of the season.
Newcastle are expected to be heavily backed in the transfer market by their new ownership group, which is said to be worth in excess of £300billion due to the involvement of the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia.
The club have already moved to secure the signature of England full-back Kieran Trippier, who signed a two-and-a-half-year deal upon his arrival from Atletico Madrid earlier this month.
The Magpies are also believed to be on the lookout for another central defender after conceding 42 league goals so far this season, a tally which represents the joint-worst haul in the division.
It seems as though a new attacker may be another option for Howe over the coming weeks, with Callum Wilson set to be sidelined for an extended period of time after picking up an injury last month.
JUST IN: Newcastle sent Hugo Ekitike clause request as ‘Prem rivals eye hijack’
Newcastle are reportedly keen on signing another forward to bolster their ranks ahead of their next Premier League outing against Watford on Saturday.
The Magpies have been scouring the loan market for possible reinforcements and could be set to choose from a five-man shortlist to fill their two remaining spots as the window progresses.
Tottenham winger Bergwijn is among the names under consideration at St James’ Park, with the Dutchman expected to leave the north London club before the end of the month, according to 90min.
Ajax are currently trying to land the Dutchman on a permanent basis, but Newcastle are said to be hoping that a temporary switch to Tyneside can be engineered as they are familiar with his representatives.
Martial has also been identified as a potential addition in the wake of his decision to inform Ralf Rangnick of his desire to leave Old Trafford in search of regular first-team football.
Meanwhile, a number of other domestic loan candidates have been scouted by the Magpies as of late, with Arsenal duo Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Eddie Nketiah said to be on Howe’s radar.
A move for Chelsea midfielder Ross Barkley, who has been tipped to return to Everton over the coming weeks, has also been discussed behind closed doors.
It remains to be seen whether Newcastle will be successful in landing any of the aforementioned players as they seek an injection of quality at the top of the pitch before the transfer window slams shut.
FOLLOW OUR NEW DAILY EXPRESS SPORT INSTAGRAM PAGE
Howe admitted that his side were in desperate need of new blood after falling to a humiliating home defeat at the hands of Cambridge United in the third round of the FA Cup over the weekend.
“We would love to, I think you can see what Kieran did to the team,” said the Newcastle boss when quizzed on whether Trippier will be joined by any further additions in the near future.
“The response to him was first class. New signings at this moment would breathe new confidence into the team, so, fingers crossed.”
Source: Read Full Article