Steve Bruce has taken the blame for Newcastle's slump last weekend – admitting he picked the "wrong" team and formation.
The Newcastle boss has been hit with criticism from fans after his side were hammered by Brighton, and has warned there can be no repeat of the “awful performance all over the pitch.”
Bruce will field a second string against League Two Morecambe in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday night saying the competition “isn't a huge priority, but we have a squad big enough.”
Joelinton, Matt Ritchie, Sean Longstaff, DeAndre Yedlin and a host of first teamers will play against a side who themselves lost 5-0 at the weekend.
The Geordies were outplayed and out passed by Blackburn and Brighton in their last two fixtures and need to find a system that works.
Bruce said: “In hindsight, we lose and I have picked the wrong team, that is normal. I have picked the wrong formation, that is normal too. That is the difficult part of it.
“Here it gets dissected more than most. That is the way the club is. Others play poorly and don't get the sensational headline we get. We accept we were not good enough and we have to roll our sleeves up. Collectively and individually we didn't perform across the board.
“There is no fluffing it over. We are totally disappointed with the game at the weekend. A difficult, awful afternoon performance wise. The only way to put it right is Morecambe, then Spurs then another cup tie hopefully.
“We have to repair the damage and get ready. We will improve in the games ahead which won't be difficult. It was nowhere near what is required in the Premier League. Everything game broadcast. It is there for everyone to see. You have to admit when you don't play well enough.”
Asked about the Carabao Cup, Bruce said it was “not a huge priority, it is not the FA Cup, but I have a squad big enough to have a go.”
“We will put a strong team out. People are desperate to play. We could have seven games in three weeks. I got the decision wrong at the weekend. We got beat.
“I have competition across the pitch. Can I pick a team fresh and fit enough to beat Morecambe?”
Bruce has to sell, or loan players out, before he can add to his squad with £13m Inter midfielder Joao Mario the latest player to be linked, although Bruce has other priorities.
Get the latest transfer news straight into your inbox!
It has been a hectic and unique transfer window so far – so make sure you don't miss a single thing by signing up for the brilliant new Mirror Football newsletter!
You'll been clued up on Jadon Sancho, Declan Rice and more as clubs buy their way through the summer. All the latest transfer news and big stories will land straight into your inbox. You won't miss out.
To sign up, put your email at the top of this article or follow the instructions on this link.
Yedlin, now third choice right back, has been told to “find a new home” and Jacob Murphy, Rolando Aarons and Henri Saivet all available.
Allan Saint-Maximin is out after “tweaking” his ankle on Sunday, but has a chance of recovery for the trip to Spurs. “We don't think it is that bad,” said Bruce.
Jamal Lewis is recovering from “a horrible kick to his face,” from Yves Bissouma. Bruce added: “His eye is completely closed and has a cut above it. Thankfully there is no lasting damage.”
* Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.
Source: Read Full Article