Cristian Stellini criticises Tottenham for failing to hold on against Everton
Julian Nagelsmann is prepared to talk with Tottenham about taking over in north London, according to reports. The German had previously been seen as the frontrunner to take charge of Chelsea, only for talks to collapse. Now, the 35-year-old looks increasingly set to move to north London instead.
It emerged earlier on Monday that Tottenham were considering axing Stellini in the wake of their dire 6-1 defeat to Newcastle on Sunday.
And 90min now claim Nagelsmann is interested in holding talks with Spurs as they consider all their options.
It’s claimed the German was ‘quickly earmarked’ as a candidate to take charge of Tottenham after his surprise sacking from Bayern Munich in March.
Quickly, however, it emerged the 35-year-old was interesting Chelsea in the wake of their decision to part ways with Graham Potter.
Nagelsmann, though, proceeded to withdraw from talks with Chelsea last week.
Want the latest football news? Join our brand new Facebook group by clicking here
He had initially believed his move to Stamford Bridge would be a formality, only to be taken aback by news the Blues were also eyeing the likes of Mauricio Pochettino and Luis Enrique.
The report says Nagelsmann’s camp have now ‘reached out’ to Tottenham to express an interest in the role.
The German is willing to talk with Spurs supremo Daniel Levy to discuss what the club’s plans for the future are.
Yet while they’re ‘receptive’ to Nagelsmann’s interest, there’s still no guarantee he’ll take charge.
Tottenham know they need to get their next managerial appointment right after yet another underwhelming season in the capital.
And that’s why Levy has so far resisted the urge to bring in an established top coach, despite Tottenham’s season going from bad to worse.
Burnley’s Vincent Kompany and Feyenoord’s Arne Slot are candidates for the job, as well as Enrique.
Brendan Rodgers is another man in the frame, with the Northern Irishman available following his recent sacking from Leicester.
And Thomas Frank and Oliver Glasner are being eyed amid their fine work at Brentford and Eintracht Frankfurt respectively.
Meanwhile, speaking on Sunday, former Newcastle star Kieran Dyer expressed a belief that managers would be wise to stay clear of Tottenham due to their poor form.
“I’m in disbelief. I thought Newcastle would win the game but to be five nil up after half an hour was just incredible,” he told Sky Sports.
“There was a lot made about Conte when he came out about his own players – about the Spurs players – and this is why he gave the outburst.
“Everything that he said in that press conference has come true.
“Spurs, the players, they cost the managers their jobs, they’re that bad.
“We touched on the full-backs being a problem, the centre-halves have been poor, the midfielders have been poor, I think [Oliver] Skipp’s the only one who’s really tried and they’ve been put to sword.”
Should Nagelsmann take charge of Tottenham, he’d become their fourth permanent manager since Pochettino’s sacking in 2019.
Jose Mourinho was the first, though he’d later be sacked days before a Carabao Cup final in 2021.
Tottenham turned to Nuno Espirito Santo after Mourinho’s exit, only for the former Wolves boss to last just a number of months.
And though Antonio Conte arrived with a big reputation, he too was unable to guide Tottenham to any trophies during his stint un the dugout.
Source: Read Full Article