Man Utd: The first six fixtures of the new Premier League season
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Manchester United and England forward Marcus Rashford appeared to confirm the imminent arrival of Jadon Sancho at Old Trafford with a since-deleted tweet on Tuesday evening. The 23-year-old was left as an unused substitute by Gareth Southgate earlier in the day as the Three Lions sealed a historic win over Germany at Euro 2020 to reach the quarter-finals of the tournament.
Rashford is widely expected to be joined by Sancho at United next season with the Red Devils pushing hard to secure the Borussia Dortmund man’s signature.
He is a long-term target of the 20-time Premier League champions and came agonisingly close to joining the club last summer.
However, United were unable to negotiate a fee with Dortmund which saw Sancho remain in Germany for another campaign.
He went on to chip in with 36 goal contributions from 38 appearances in all competitions, helping the Bundesliga heavyweights to secure a place in next season’s Champions League and lift the DFB-Pokal trophy in the process.
It seems as though Sancho’s proposed move to United may now be finally coming to fruition, with Rashford’s antics on social media after England’s win over Germany suggesting that an official announcement could simply be a matter of time.
JUST IN: Man Utd have made bizarre Anthony Martial transfer ‘decision’
The United forward was asked by a fan to confirm whether his international team-mate will be joining the Red Devils this summer, to which he replied: “Yes x.”
The tweet, which was eventually removed, appears to indirectly confirm that Sancho is set to become a United player ahead of next season.
Negotiations between the Red Devils and Dortmund are believed to be drawing to a close, with talks regarding a transfer fee and the structure of the deal said to be ongoing.
Sancho has reportedly agreed personal terms with the Premier League giants and the finer details are expected to be wrapped up within the next few days.
United have been linked with a number of other signings in recent weeks, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer believed to be keen on the addition of a new central defender to partner Harry Maguire at the back.
The club have also been tipped to land a striker ahead of the new campaign, but their interest in strengthening at the top of the pitch is said to have cooled after Edinson Cavani penned a one-year extension at the end of last season.
However, former United stalwart Gary Neville recently suggested that Sancho’s presence is all that Solskjaer will require in order to mount a renewed Premier League title challenge next time around.
“I think Sancho comes in on that right-hand side, with [Mason] Greenwood as a potential back-up,” Neville told Monday Night Football last month.
“Up front you’ve then got [Edinson] Cavani and Greenwood. On the left [Marcus] Rashford and [Anthony] Martial, and then you’ve got [Paul] Pogba who could potentially fit there if he’s not playing in midfield.
“If you sign [Harry] Kane or [Erling] Haaland, which is what’s being mooted, I don’t think that works for Manchester United … [the policy of] allowing young players to emerge like Greenwood, making sure Rashford plays.
“[Donny] van de Beek can’t get a game. I think it’s Sancho and that’s their business done.”
Source: Read Full Article