Manchester United have suffered a major blow in their attempts to land Alex Telles from Porto this transfer window. The left-back is keen on joining the Red Devils and will see his contract expire next summer. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is desperate to bring in new players before the deadline passes on Monday.
United have had a bid rejected by Porto for Telles, amouting to £15.4m, and the club are now calling off any further negotiations.
The Red Devils were told that the Brazilian would cost £22m after an initial offer of £12m was made.
Ed Woodward’s attempts to low-ball their way to success during talks has failed to pay off with Solskjaer set to miss out on his man.
The United chief believed that because Telles is in the last year of his contract, Porto would be forced into listening to a lower bid.
JUST IN: What Liverpool boss Klopp thinks of Cavani with forward set to join Man Utd
But according to Record, the club’s president Pinto da Costa is unwilling to sell the defender after the latest derisory offer.
Furthermore, he will inform manager Sergio Conceicao that Telles is available for selection in the next squad.
Porto face Sporting Lisbon in a crucial clash in the Primeira Liga after losing to Maritimo at home on Saturday night.
With the scores at 2-1, Telles had a chance to equalise from the penalty spot but saw his effort saved in the 88th minute, with the Dragons going on to lose 3-2.
Man Utd have Cavani theory regarding Rashford, Martial and Greenwood [GOSSIP]
Verstappen must activate Red Bull clause even if Hamilton vetoes move [COMMENT]
Jorginho to Arsenal: Chelsea stance on deal as Gunners end Aouar pursuit [NEWS]
Missing out on the ex-Inter Milan star will come as a huge blow to Solskjaer, who wants to add more of an attacking threat from his full-backs.
Both Luke Shaw and Aaron Wan-Bissaka are seen as fine defenders but do not possess the same abilities going forward compared to their Premier League rivals.
Telles would have answered those problems on one side, particularly following on from last season where he scored 11 league goals in 31 appearances.
But this latest blow comes during a frustrating summer for the Red Devils, who have signed just one player in the shape of Donny van de Beek.
United have been chasing the signature of Jadon Sancho but their latest offer, amounting to just over £90m, was rejected outright by Borussia Dortmund.
They have told the Old Trafford outfit that the price is £109m – but even if that total is met, Dortmund could still say no.
That is because they saw United have missed a self-imposed deadline – which Sancho also agreed to.
The lack of movement during this transfer saga has annoyed Gary Neville, with the club legend branding the situation “embarrassing”.
Premier League done deals: Every confirmed transfer in the summer window so far
PREMIER LEAGUE ON TV: Get NOW TV Sky Sports season pass and save 25 percent
“The Sancho thing is embarrassing. It’s been going on now for fourth months. It’s embarrassing, that,” he told the Off The Ball podcast.
“And then to put a bid in that gets rejected… the smart clubs, they have deals sorted behind the scenes, the agents are working hard, club officials are agreed on things and when the bids goes in it gets accepted, it’s done.
“Who puts bids in nowadays that aren’t accepted? That doesn’t happen that often. Very rarely.
“Generally clubs have the deal sorted, the agents knows what the player’s getting, the player knows what the club are getting, the club knows what the other club are getting.
“I just don’t understand it at all, it’s not great. That’s why I’ve been critical.”
This article contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission on any sales of products or services we write about. This article was written completely independently, see more details here
Source: Read Full Article