Manchester United legend Gary Neville has slammed his former club for their “appalling” summer transfer business.
The Red Devils have failed to land top target Jadon Sancho and Ajax midfielder Donny van de Beek is currently their only new addition with less than a week to go until deadline day.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side have put in a below-par start to their Premier League campaign to highlight their shortcomings.
And Neville says it is “appalling” that the club have been unable to get more deals over the line in the current market.
Sancho and various alternatives remain on their radar, as well as left-back Alex Telles, before the October 5 deadline.
Neville has said the club must snap up a centre-back, left-back and forward to compete.
Neville wrote on Twitter : “It’s appalling that in this market which is probably the easiest in PL history to get transfers done that United haven’t done more yet !
“They must get Ole a CB , LB and Forward pre deadline! The others are managing to get things over the line why not United !”
Here’s a look at how Manchester United can take Neville’s advice and strengthen the areas he has mentioned in the coming days.
Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof have come under the microscope after a sluggish start to the season.
Many believe the Red Devils need to strengthen at the heart of defence – including Neville.
Dayot Upamecano emerged as a target earlier this summer but RB Leipzig are unlikely to sell meaning a 12-month wait until his release clause kicks in next summer.
Kalidou Koulibaly has also long been linked with an Old Trafford switch but would cost a significant price from Napoli.
A more realistic option is highly-rated Monaco youngster Benoit Badiashile, who has already been the subject of a bid.
The French club rejected a bid of over £20million, according to RMC Sport, and would demand an offer they cannot refuse to let their prized young prospect go.
If United do want to strengthen at centre-back, they will have to spend big.
Luke Shaw and Brandon Williams shared left-back duties last year, but the position has emerged as one of United’s priorities.
The idea is to shift Williams back to right-back and have Shaw as back-up to a new first-choice option to strengthen Solskjaer’s back line.
A deal for Alex Telles is reportedly edging closer with the Porto and United playing hardball over the fee.
Get the latest Man Utd transfer news straight into your inbox!
Manchester United are looking to plot their path back to the top. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has already brought in Donny van de Beek but Jadon Sancho remains Manchester United's number one target.
And you can keep track of their journey by signing up for the brilliant new Mirror Football newsletter!
From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox.
Signing up is simple. Put your email at the top of this article or follow the instructions on this link.
It seems Telles is the remaining option unless Woodward can pull something out of nowhere.
Manchester Evening News have claimed links with Ainsley Maitland-Niles from Arsenal are wide of the mark.
Another target, Sergio Reguilon, has instead joined Tottenham meaning it appears to be Telles or nothing for United before the deadline at left-back.
Jadon Sancho is United’s top target but so far they have been unable to reach an agreement with Borussia Dortmund.
The German club want £108million with the bulk up front rather than United insisting on various add-ons.
As a result, the Red Devils have turned their attentions to other targets whilst talks over Sancho continue in the background.
Loan moves have been touted as short-term solutions with Real Madrid ’s Luka Jovic and Barcelona ’s Ousmane Dembele recently linked.
Other options include Watford ’s Ismaila Sarr, free agent Edinson Cavani or Juventus ace Douglas Costa.
But Sancho is the one United want and, if they are to change Neville’s view, they need to find a way to get that deal done.
Source: Read Full Article