Man Utd ‘considering late transfer bid’ as Saul Niguez jumps ahead of Eduardo Camavinga

Man Utd: 2021/22 season preview

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Manchester United are reportedly considering a late bid for a midfielder amid interest in Saul Niguez and Eduardo Camavinga. Both players could leave Atletico Madrid and Rennes respectively. But whether Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is able to add to his squad remains to be seen.

Manchester United have signed Tom Heaton, Jadon Sancho and Raphael Varane so far this summer.

But the Red Devils are still open to adding more reinforcements to their squad by the time the transfer window slams shut on August 31.

And Forbes say United are considering a late bid for a midfielder as the clock starts to tick down.

Solskjaer’s side are well-stocked in the middle of the park at the current moment in time, having Paul Pogba, Bruno Fernandes, Nemanja Matic, Fred, Scott McTominay and Donny van de Beek capable of playing there.

But interest in Saul and Camavinga is there.

Camavinga has sparkled for Rennes over the past two years, with the 18-year-old one of Europe’s hottest properties.

THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz

His contract with the Ligue 1 side expires at the end of the campaign and, as a result, his club are open to selling him now.

However, United have already held talks with the player’s camp.

And, after those negotiations, they learned the France international would prefer a move to Spain instead.

As a result, Saul is now the player they’re likelier to sign.

The Atletico Madrid star has been linked with a move to Old Trafford for a number of years, ever since David Moyes’ time in charge.

DON’T MISS

Man Utd set Kane price by Tottenham chief Levy ‘convinced’

Barcelona’s strong XI with Ronaldo and two other signings

Arsenal’s amazing squad if Edu seals six more deals

He’s been a huge success in the Spanish capital, helping Diego Simeone’s side win La Liga twice – playing a key role both times.

But with Atletico open to selling in the wake of the pandemic, Saul is a potential option for Solskjaer’s side.

It’s claimed United could even bring the 26-year-old to the club on loan, before then buying him permanently in a year’s time.

Yet Chelsea are also lurking, meaning Solskjaer and his staff have plenty of work to do.

The Norwegian was recently asked about the prospects of any more signings before his team’s disappointing 1-1 draw with Southampton on Sunday.

And Solskjaer insisted any more acquisitions would be a bonus.

“Anything from now is a bonus,” said the 48-year-old.

“I have to say that with the two signings we’ve got, we’ve strengthened where we wanted to strengthen.

“Let’s see what happens. You never know in football. Anything can happen, ins and outs.”

Atletico Madrid boss Simeone, meanwhile, addressed talk of a potential Saul departure earlier this summer.

He said: “We cannot put aside what is rumoured and talked about.

“If he has to leave, [I’ll] give him a big hug, wish him the best with the boys who gave us life and to continue being friends, as always. Either to Barcelona or elsewhere.”

Simeone believes Saul wants to play a more prominent role rather than continue being an important but versatile option for Atletico.

“Last season he spoke with the club, with us about his needs and what he spoke about was the option of having a position on the pitch where he feels more important,” he added.

“And I consider that Saul became Saul by playing everywhere, but he or many of those around him see it as something negative.

“He is very important for Atletico because he can play as a full-back, right-wing, midfielder. He gives us a lot of options to be able to count on him. He is a player who, in that version and playing how the coach needs him to, performs very well.”

Source: Read Full Article