Transfer news: Who could be on the move this summer?
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Everton are preparing to rival Manchester United for the signing of Atletico Madrid and England defender Kieran Trippier in the summer transfer window, according to reports. Red Devils director of football John Murtough is looking to boost the club’s Premier League title-winning credentials with a number of additions ahead of the new campaign, but could be forced to look elsewhere in his search for a new right-back.
United already have Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Diogo Dalot, who are both more than capable of excelling on the right-hand side of defence.
However, it seems as though a new arrival may be on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s transfer wish list in order to provide additional cover.
The 20-time Premier League champions were pipped to this season’s domestic crown by Manchester City, with at least two or three signings likely to be needed this summer in order to stand any chance of knocking their cross-city rivals off their perch.
Trippier has been heavily linked with United as of late, with newly-crowned La Liga kings Atletico strapped for cash and reportedly open to offers.
The former Burnley and Tottenham defender made 28 league appearances for Diego Simeone’s side this season but looks set to face the temptation of a return to England over the next few months.
JUST IN: Man Utd’s Kounde transfer plans suffer blow as Barca remain interested
United are looking to bring Tripper to Old Trafford ahead of the new campaign, but Everton are also keeping a close eye on proceedings, according to the Daily Mail.
The report claims that the Toffees, still reeling from the shock departure of Carlo Ancelotti earlier this week, have also expressed an interest in landing the Atletico man this summer.
It remains to be seen whether Trippier would be open to a move to Goodison Park, with the Bury-born defender said to be firmly on United’s radar.
The Red Devils were reportedly keen on launching a move for the 30-year-old back in January, but shelved their plans when he was banned for a breach of betting regulations.
Solskjaer is believed to view the player as a stronger attacking option than Wan-Bissaka, who has failed to convince the Norwegian boss of his qualities with the ball at feet.
Despite United’s interest, Trippier could well decide to oppose any move away from the Spanish capital after thriving under Simeone’s leadership since joining Atletico in the summer of 2019.
The England star waxed lyrical over his boss last year, suggesting that no other coach in world football would be able to get the best out of him in the same way.
“He’s unbelievable,” Trippier said in an interview with AFP. “The passion he has, in games you see him celebrating tackles like goals. It gives you such a lift.
“You can see over the years how strong Atletico have been. His teams have always looked like a family and I feel that now.
“It all comes from Cholo. I think he can take me to the next level. For a defender I don’t think there’s a better place in the world to be.”
Trippier is currently gearing up to represent England at the upcoming European Championships, but will be facing stiff competition for the first-choice right-back berth from the likes of Reece James and Kyle Walker.
Trent Alexander-Arnold is also likely to be in with a chance, but the Liverpool man faces a nervous wait for the results of a scan after picking up a knock during the 1-0 friendly win over Austria on Wednesday evening.
Source: Read Full Article