Man United in 2021: Ronaldo's return, Ole out and Rangnick revolution
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Manchester United boss Ralf Rangnick has spoken out on Anthony Martial’s future, with the 26-year-old reportedly keen on a new challenge away from the club. The German threw a spanner in the works, however, as the out-of-favour winger may not be guaranteed a transfer, despite growing concerns over game time.
The Red Devils are preparing to take to the pitch once again on Monday evening, after more than two weeks out of action due to a Covid outbreak.
So far, Martial has been left unable to impress under Rangnick due to a knee injury which kept him out of games with Crystal Palace, Young Boys and Norwich City.
And during his absence, speculation has snowballed that he will look for an escape route in January after a frustrating start to the campaign.
Martial was believed to be in a group of disgruntled players who were upset that previous boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was reluctant to rotate the side during his final weeks in the job.
JUST IN: Liverpool strike Mohamed Salah agreement in huge boost for Chelsea Stamford Bridge clash
The Frenchman clearly believes that things will not get much better under Rangnick, with the manager disclosing details of talks bewteen himself and the player ahead of the January window.
“We spoke at length. He explained to me he’s been at Manchester United now for the last seven years and he feels it’s the right time for a change, to go somewhere else,” he said.
“I think in a way this is understandable, I could follow his thoughts, but on the other hand, it’s also important to see the situation of the club.
“We have Covid times, we have three competitions in which we still have high ambitions and we want to be as successful as we can be.
DON’T MISS: Four stars Man Utd may sign in January after Rangnick’s ‘tall’ request
“I told him, ‘listen, as long as there is no club showing interest in him [he will stay]’, and it should not only be in the interest of the player it should also be in the interest of the club.
“As far as I know, there has been no offer from any other club and, as long as this is the case, he will stay.”
With the transfer window just days away from opening, Martial will be desperate for a chance to impress potential suitors, although it remains to be seen whether Rangnick will grant game time to a player who openly wants to leave.
This season has been a struggle for the striker-turned-winger, having notched just one goal in ten outings across all competitions.
Rangnick also addressed the immediate future of Paul Pogba, whose days at Old Trafford appear to be numbered with the notion of agreeing a new contract slipping further away.
“I’ve spoken to Paul. On the day he came back from Dubai, we spoke in person,” he added.
“Right now, it’s about him getting fit again, to get training fit, not just be match fit.
“This will take us another couple of weeks and, until then, my full focus is on the players who are available and who can play in the upcoming games.”
Source: Read Full Article