Klopp defends Liverpool transfer policy as top-four rivals spend big
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Liverpool are not expected to sign a replacement if they sell Xherdan Shaqiri but may bring in a new attacker if Divock Origi departs Anfield in addition to the Swiss this summer, according to reports.
The Reds have made just the one addition to their first-team squad in the current window. They signed Ibrahima Konate from RB Leipzig in a £36million deal at the start of the summer.
Despite losing Gini Wijnaldum and having seen Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino struggle for form last term, Liverpool have not added any new talent in midfield or attack.
That is in spite of the Merseyside club, who felt the pain last season after they failed to replace Dejan Lovren in central defence, selling off a number of fringe players.
Harry Wilson and Marko Grujic have gone to Fulham and Porto on initial loans with Liverpool set to recoup fees in a year’s time while Taiwo Awoniyi and Kamil Grabara joined Union Berlin and Copenhagen respectively.
But even if Shaqiri leaves, with Lyon eager to sign the want-away Switzerland international, Jurgen Klopp will not source a direct replacement for him.
MUST READ: Liverpool midfield conundrum continues at Norwich after Klopp’s stance
That’s according to The Athletic who says Liverpool will only look to bring in a new forward if another player departs, with Origi the most likely.
That is because Klopp sees Takumi Minamino, Harvey Elliott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain as back-up options to Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane, Diogo Jota and Roberto Firmino.
Salah, Jota and Firmino were all on target as Liverpool beat Norwich 3-0 in the first match of the new Premier League season at Carrow Road on Saturday evening.
It’s thought 18-year-old Elliott will instead take up Shaqiri’s minutes once he leaves with the 29-year-old having played 22 games last term, albeit racking up just 819 minutes of action.
No clubs have yet shown interest in Origi and as a result it appears unlikely any new forwards will be arriving at Anfield before the window closes unless the club’s stance changes.
DON’T MISS: Liverpool face trio of absences from Man Utd tie after FIFA ruling
West Ham’s Jarrod Bowen is a known target and impressed with his footwork as the Hammers beat Newcastle 4-2 on Sunday.
The 24-year-old Englishman, rated at around £35million, was lively and started off the break for the fourth goal. It is known Liverpool view him as being a player in a similar mould to Jota, who can improve exponentially under Klopp’s.
Watford wide-man Ismaila Sarr is another attacker long liked by Liverpool with the Senegalese having been eyed before Jota was signed from Wolves.
MORE LIVERPOOL TRANSFER NEWS…
Man City boss Pep Guardiola takes aim at Liverpool owners FSG
Liverpool’s transfer policy quizzed by Jamie Redknapp
Liverpool’s long-term Mohamed Salah transfer plan left in tatters
Like Bowen, the 23-year-old stood out on the Premier League’s first weekend back as he terrorised Aston Villa’s Matty Targett all game long and scored his team’s second goal in a 3-2 win while helping create Emmanuel Dennis’ opener.
But neither Bowen or Sarr – nor any other target – presently look likely to join Liverpool within the next fortnight, with Klopp making it clear that more departures are a necessity to free up funds.
The German said last week when asked about signings: “We all know the situation of Chelsea, City and PSG. What United are doing, I don’t know how they did it.
“We have our own way to do it. We are allowed to spend the money we earn, that we always did.
“This year we spent before we earned money with Konate because after last season, just to be clear, we cannot take any risk in this position at all.
“I’m never surprised about the financial power of Chelsea, City or United, I’ve been here long enough to know they always find a solution to these things.”
He added when asked if a new midfielder would arrive before August 31: “You tell me which player we need, I’m really interested. What type of player would you like to sign?
“Should he score more goals than Gini? Should he defend better than Fabinho? Be more creative than Naby [Keita], Curtis [Jones], Ox [Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain] and Harvey [Elliott]?”
He added: “We cannot compare to the other clubs. They obviously don’t have any limits. We have limits.”
Source: Read Full Article