Horror leg injury overshadows Melbourne City-Adelaide A-League clash

A horror lower-leg injury suffered by Adelaide United midfielder Juande has overshadowed a dramatic 3-3 draw with A-League Men leaders Melbourne City.

The Spanish midfielder was injured when he and City’s Florin Berenguer challenged for the ball in the 66th minute at AAMI Park.

Adelaide’s Juande is treated after breaking his leg during the match between Melbourne City and Adelaide United at AAMI Park.Credit:Getty Images

There was a loud crack upon impact and Juande’s lower right leg was left at an unnatural angle as both sets of players called for medical staff.

Teammate and fellow Spaniard Javi Lopez was reduced to tears as Juande received treatment.

It took close to 13 minutes for an ambulance to arrive at AAMI Park, with Juande’s leg screened from cameras and the crowd as he underwent treatment on the pitch.

It is understood Ambulance Victoria have not stationed ambulances at A-Leagues matches since November 2018.

A league policy change was agreed to by the players’ union and the then governing body Football Federation Australia that an emergency physician would instead be based at the ground.

The emergency physician can call an ambulance while providing specialist care and working with club medical staff.

After Juande was taken to hospital, play was restarted from the time of the incident and City scored a 90th-minute equaliser from the penalty spot.

Adelaide had opened the scoring in the first minute when City winger Marco Tilio stumbled on the ball and it fell for Ethan Alagich, who had the presence of mind to square it to George Blackwood for a straightforward finish.

City hit back when Valon Berisha sent a corner to the near post, where Thomas Lam rose highest and sent a flicked header beyond Joe Gauci’s reach.

Adelaide regained the lead five minutes later when Lopez headed Goodwin’s corner on at the near post for Ryan Kitto to convert.

Blackwood had to go off in the 29th minute after landing awkwardly and injuring his left knee.

Adelaide were confident he had just hyperextended his knee and avoided an ACL tear.

Reds skipper Craig Goodwin capitalised on a turnover from City young gun Jordan Bos to add the Reds’ third in the 42nd minute, pouncing on an overshot backpass and scoring.

City pulled one back seven minutes into the second half when Mathew Leckie drove down the left wing, cut onto his right and skidded a thumping shot into the far bottom corner.

They fluffed multiple good chances to equalise before a last-minute penalty – awarded when Bos was clipped by Alexandar Popovic – allowed Jamie Maclaren to equalise from the spot.


Sports news, results and expert commentary. Sign up for our Sport newsletter.

Most Viewed in Sport

From our partners

Source: Read Full Article