FA Cup tie halted due to ‘serious incident’ as fan taken away on stretcher

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

An FA Cup tie between Dagenham and Redbridge and Salford City was momentarily halted due to a medical emergency in the stands at Victoria Road. A supporter was carried away on a stretcher in the final minutes of the tie, which Salford won 1-0, before the game resumed. 

It is understood that the fan was conscious and moving as they were taken away by medical professionals. 

The match was approaching the 89th minute when a young supporter made their way onto the pitch and was signalling towards the referee. 

At first, it seemed like they might have been a pitch invader but it soon became clear that there was a serious problem. 

Referee David Rock quickly halted the match and medics could be seen sprinting across the pitch. 

ITV commentator Sam Matterface said: “There is a serious incident below where we are sitting here in the stand.”

Players appeared shocked by the scenes and quickly made their way to the other side of the pitch. Rock could be seen deep in discussion with both managers. 

A stretcher was then brought across the pitch, with the supporter on the side opposite the tunnel and dugouts. 

ITV’s broadcast remained on a general view of the stadium while the fan received medical attention. 

They were not seen being led away but Matterface observed that they were conscious and moving. 

Players were led back onto the pitch and the final part of the game resumed. Rock blew his whistle following 10 greuling minutes of injury time. 

Salford, who are part-owned by Manchester United legends Gary Neville, David Beckham, Phil Neville, Paul Scholes and other members of the Red Devils’ Class Of ’92, won through Jordan Turnbull’s early goal.

The defender headed in from a corner in the third minute and the League Two side just about held on. 

Dagenhead created several chances to equalise but failed to find a route beyond Salford goalkeeper Conor Ripley. 

The victory hands the Greater Manchester-based club a place in the second round of the tournament, which is in its 150th year. 

Second-round winners face the prospect of coming up against a Premier League side, with top-flight clubs playing their first FA Cup ties in January. 

Leicester City are the current holders. The Foxes stunned Chelsea in May’s final.

Youri Tielemans’ scored a stunning goal to help Leicester to a 1-0 win, with it being their first-ever FA Cup success. 


We’ll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story.

For the latest news and breaking news visit: express.co.uk/sport/football

Stay up to date with all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you.

Follow us on Twitter @DExpress_Sport – the official Daily Express & Express.co.uk Twitter account – providing real news in real time.

We’re also on Facebook @DailyExpressSport – offering your must-see news, features, videos and pictures throughout the day to like, comment and share from the Daily Express, Sunday Express and Express.co.uk.

Source: Read Full Article