FA appeal against John Yems’ ban and push for disgraced former Crawley boss’ punishment to be extended to two years after they ‘fundamentally disagreed’ with the panel’s findings that he is not a ‘conscious racist’
- An independent regulatory panel banned manager John Yems until 2024
- The FA has appealed against the ban imposed on the former Crawley boss
- The FA are pushing for a two-year ban and said the disagreed with the findings
The Football Association has appealed against the ban imposed on former Crawley boss John Yems.
An independent regulatory panel banned Yems until June 2024 after he admitted one charge and was found guilty of 11 others relating to comments that referenced either ethnic origin, colour, race, nationality, religion, belief or gender between 2019 and 2022.
The FA had been pushing for a two-year ban, and said last week it ‘fundamentally disagreed’ with the panel’s findings that this was not a case of ‘conscious racism’.
The FA has appealed against the ban imposed on former Crawley boss John Yems (above)
An independent regulatory panel banned Yems until June 2024 following Sportsmail’s revelations that a group of Crawley players complained about their boss’ language last April
FA chief executive Mark Bullingham revealed on Wednesday his organisation was exploring its legal options and the governing body has now confirmed an appeal.
‘We are appealing against the sanction imposed by the independent panel on John Yems,’ an FA statement said.
‘We believe a longer sanction is appropriate. We are unable to comment further until the appeal is complete.’
The FA had been pushing for a two-year ban, and said last week it ‘fundamentally disagreed’ with the panel’s findings that this was not a case of ‘conscious racism’
Anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out described the panel’s sanction as a ‘slap in the face’ given what it saw as the 11 proven charges against Yems.
The investigation into Yems began when a number of players from the Sky Bet League Two club took their grievances to the Professional Footballers’ Association.
The union’s senior EDI education executive Jason Lee welcomed the FA’s decision to appeal and added: ‘(The panel)’s full written reasons, which were published last week, essentially excuse behaviour and language which has resulted in 11 charges of discriminatory behaviour being upheld and a ban being given.
‘We believe there was no need for the commission to assess his language and his behaviour in this way beyond deciding whether it was discriminatory. They clearly found that it was but, in going beyond that in their written reasons, they have offered a justification that is wholly unnecessary and, in our view, completely without merit.
FA chief executive Mark Bullingham revealed on Wednesday his organisation was exploring its legal options and the governing body has now confirmed an appeal
‘In doing so they have caused anger and upset to many, including those who came forward to the PFA to ensure that John Yems was held to account. Every individual is responsible for the impact of their words and their behaviour. There should be no excuses made.
‘As their union, the PFA will be continuing to support the players involved moving forward.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article