Former Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge offered trial with LaLiga side Real Mallorca after spending 15 months without a club following a ban for breaching FA betting rules
- Daniel Sturridge has been invited for a trial with LaLiga side Real Mallorca
- The striker has been without a club since leaving Trabsonspor last year
- He was banned for four months in March 2020 for breaching betting rules
Daniel Sturridge has been invited to trial with Spanish club Real Mallorca as he looks to return to football following a 15-month absence.
The former Liverpool striker has been without a club since he was forced to leave Turkish side Trabzonspor after being handed a four-month ban from all football-related activity worldwide for breaching betting rules.
Sturridge was banned for six weeks in July 2019 for providing his family with inside betting information on his own transfer negotiations. But following a successful appeal by the FA, his ban was increased to four months in March 2020.
Daniel Sturridge has been invited to trial with Spanish club Real Mallorca as he looks to return to football following a 15-month absence
The 31-year-old was unable to secure a club for the 2020-2021 season but has been working hard to get himself back to full fitness, regularly posting videos of his workouts on Instagram.
Mallorca, who won promotion to LaLiga last season, confirmed they have invited the forward for a trial.
A statement on the club’s website read: ‘RCD Mallorca has extended an invitation for Daniel Sturridge (Birmingham, England, 1989) to participate from tomorrow, July 14, in the training sessions of the club’s first team as part of its preparation process.’
Sturridge spoke to the High Performance Podcast about his ambitions to get back into football at the end of June and insisted he is fitter than ever.
‘Moving forward for me now I am driven. I know I have it. I know I am me. I am so confident. It is hard to explain it. I just feel it and people will see it,’ he said.
A post shared by Daniel Sturridge – Dstudge (@danielsturridge)
‘I am training so hard now my playing weight is back where it was eight years ago. I am obsessed by the fact that I know I want to be what I was before and better that. I will be better than that. I am wiser now. I am older now.
‘I didn’t think I could get to that weight again. I didn’t think it was possible. I am doing things I didn’t think were possible.
‘I’m proud of myself because I’m holding myself accountable, saying, you know what bro, you have got to go to bed now, or you have to do this, or you that’s not for you, or don’t do that, or I am going to link my friends, do I really need to link my friends if I have got to be up at eight tomorrow? No, I’m not going to link them.’
Sturridge admitted he was left devastated by his ban from football, telling YouTube account last year: ‘This has been a very long drawn out process over the last couple of years and difficult to concentrate on my football.
‘I am going to continue to campaign for professional footballers to be able to speak to their families and close friends freely without the real risk of being charged.
‘I feel the betting companies and the process of people placing bets on players moving clubs has to be stopped and although the appeal panel had recognised I hadn’t bet and no one else had bet, I was still charged.
Sturridge was given a four-month ban from football in March 2020 for breaching betting rules
‘So it was very disappointing and upsetting for me to hear the news that the appeal panel had overturned the original highly qualified panel’s ruling.
‘With that being said, it is devastating for me and I’m absolutely gutted about it. My season is over and I am devastated.’
An independent commission fined Sturridge £75,000 and banned him for six weeks, with four suspended, in July 2019.
The FA saw the sanction, which effectively allowed Sturridge to return to action within a fortnight, as lenient. He subsequently joined Trabzonspor from Liverpool.
The evidence, handed over to investigators by Sturridge during the original investigation, showed the 30-year-old had provided his brother with inside information regarding a possible loan move to Sevilla in January last year.
There were conversations between Sturridge and other family members and friends about possible moves away from Anfield to Sevilla and Inter Milan in January 2018. The messages often included references to betting and odds.
The 31-year-old says has been working hard to get himself back to full fitness for next season
Had they been successful in placing all the bets, bookmakers would have lost more than £300,000.
In one WhatsApp message to his brother Leon, Sturridge said: ‘Put the grand on Sevilla I’ll give it you back if you lose. But wait until 6pm. They’re having their meeting at 3 so will know for sure my outcome after that.’
Sturridge faced 11 charges during the case in 2019, including nine that concerned alleged breaches of the inside information rule over the striker passing on details of transfers to family for betting purposes.
However, the independent commission dismissed those nine, finding Sturridge guilty of the other two concerning the information passed to his brother Leon.
At the time, the FA said they ‘respectfully disagrees with the Regulatory Commission’s findings and will be appealing against the charges which were dismissed and the sanction which was imposed.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article