Brendan Rodgers will ‘reject’ Newcastle offer with hope to take Man City job in 2023

GMB: Richard Madeley clashes with guest over Newcastle takeover

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Brendan Rodgers will reportedly reject any offer to be Newcastle United’s next manager – as Manchester City are eyeing him as a potential successor to Pep Guardiola. Leicester City boss Rodgers has been linked with the Newcastle hotseat amid reports Steve Bruce will be sacked following the Premier League club’s £305million takeover by a Saudi-backed consortium.

Bruce is under pressure ahead of Newcastle’s return to action against Tottenham this Sunday, with his side 19th in the table going into the St James’ Park clash.

The manager was expected to face the sack this week after Mike Ashley sold the club last week to a consortium led by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, but so far no move has been made.

Last week’s sale of the club means Newcastle now have the wealthiest owners in the Premier League, and they have been linked with a host of top coaches including ex-Liverpool boss Rodgers and former Chelsea, Juventus and Inter Milan manager Antonio Conte.

JUST IN: Newcastle’s Adrien Rabiot January swoop could affect two Man Utd moves

But Rodgers would resist any approach as he eyes the prospect of replacing Guardiola at the end of next season, according to the Daily Mail.

The publication says Rodgers will be in the frame to replace Guardiola when the Catalan coach’s contract expires in 2023, having previously been wanted by City.

Rodgers has led Leicester to successive fifth-placed finishes and last season’s FA Cup triumph, but it is said he has some concerns with some of the decisions taken at the King Power Stadium, specifically around recruitment.

His wife is also understood to be keen on returning to the North West, after Rodgers was in charge at Liverpool between 2012 and 2015.

DON’T MISS
Newcastle urged to land Inter ace by his agent – ‘I hope they’ll call’
Man Utd legend Sir Alex Ferguson ‘smashed up’ Steve Bruce’s phone
Newcastle ‘set sights on Tielemans and Chelsea star’ after takeover

City were believed to have wanted Rodgers on the club’s coaching staff when Roberto Mancini was appointed manager in 2009, but the Italian brought in David Platt instead.

The Etihad club will want a manager capable of continuing Guardiola’s legacy when he does leave the club, with the 50-year-old having led City to three Premier League titles, four League Cups, one FA Cup and last season’s Champions League final.

Rodgers is highly rated as a coach and has won trophies with Celtic as well as impressing during his time in charge of Leicester, Liverpool and Swansea.

Rodgers has previously hinted he has unfinished business at Leicester after the Foxes narrowly missed out on Champions League qualification for a second successive season.

Follow our new Daily Express Sport Instagram page here

“I feel emotional now that we have just missed out but that motivates me even more to be here and to try to help the club and push them up towards that level,” he said back in May.

“I’m bitterly disappointed, it hurts at the minute and probably will for a few days but I know when l look back over the season and reflect on what players have given I will have great pride in what they have achieved.

“We have just missed out at the very end but we created history and we keep making steps forward.

The report from the Mail also states that Newcastle’s new owners are wary of making a move for a rival Premier League manager, conscious that it could be ‘politically disruptive’ at this stage of their ownership.

Bruce has continued to take charge of training sessions and it looks increasingly likely that he will be in the dugout for Sunday’s home match against Spurs.

Source: Read Full Article