Brazilian football great Pele says he is ‘feeling very well’ after undergoing successful surgery to remove a tumour in his colon.
There had been some concern surrounding Pele’s health, with the 80-year-old being treated at Sao Paulo’s Albert Einstein Hospital for the last six days following reports he had fainted.
Pele’s business manager, Joe Fraga, informed fans that Pele was not seriously ill in a reassuring statement earlier today and the legendary ex-Santos and New York Cosmos forward took to Instagram to provide an update on the situation this evening.
‘My friends, thank you very much for the kind messages,’ Pele told his 7.1 million followers.
‘I thank God for feeling very well and for allowing Dr. Fabio and Dr. Miguel to take care of my health.
‘Last Saturday I underwent surgery to remove a suspicious lesion in the right colon. The tumour was identified during the tests I mentioned last week.
‘Fortunately, I’m used to celebrating great victories alongside you.
‘I will face this match with a smile on my face, a lot of optimism and joy for living surrounded by the love of my family and friends.’
It comes after Pele was forced to deny worrying reports back home in Brazil that he had collapsed.
‘Guys, I didn’t faint and I’m in very good health,’ he said in an Instagram post last Tuesday.
‘I went for my routine exams, which I had not been able to do before because of the pandemic.
‘Let them know I don’t play next Sunday!’
Pele is widely regarded as one of the greatest footballers in the history of the game after winning three World Cups with Brazil in 1958, 1962 and 1970.
Back in 2019, Pele underwent surgery to remove kidney stones and his son, Edinho, claimed that he had trouble walking independently and was reluctant to even leave his home the following February.
Edinho suggested at the time that this was down to a lack of rehabilitation following a hip operation he had eight years earlier.
Source: Read Full Article