Alan Pardew urged to pay back £100,000 bonus following Eredivisie cancellation

Ruud Gullit has called on Alan Pardew to hand back his £100,000 bonus after cash-strapped ADO Den Haag were saved from relegation by the coronavirus crisis.

Pardew is set to bank the six-figure windfall after agreeing to take charge of the struggling Dutch club in the hope that he would keep them in the Eredivise.

His mission was accomplished on Friday when the league was scrapped in the face of the continuing covid-19 pandemic – with ADO in the relegation places and seven points from safety with eight games to go.

Gullit insists Pardew hasn't earned the money. He said: “For Alan Pardew, it must be a massive relief that ADO won't be going down.

“I understand he was entitled to a bonus if he kept them up. But is that really his work and is it thanks to him?

“The league has been called off – and considering the financial problems the club now has because of the coronavirus crisis, I will find it interesting if Pardew will still want to receive his bonus.”

Holland became the first nation to void their domestic season on Friday.

And with government restrictions set to remain in place, there will be no Dutch football until September.

The decision has opened up a legal minefield – with some clubs already threatening to seek redress in the courts.

But ADO and Pardew have struck lucky.

The 58-year-old former Reading, West Ham, Charlton, Southampton, Newcastle and West Brom boss, took up the offer to rebuild his career in Holland in December.

ADO were already locked in a relegation fight, but the Londoner struggled to make an impact.

His team had failed to win in seven games before football was postponed and there were reports of dressing room unrest.

Ajax, who led the table on goal difference from AZ Alkmaar, will be awarded a Champions League place after winning the title last year.

But FC Utrecht are furious that their hopes of qualifying for the Europa League after reaching the Dutch Cup final have now been dashed.

They were also fighting for a European place in the league.

Utracht have indicated they will now take their complaint to the courts – a process which is likely to have an impact when the Premier League examines the options open to them.

Gullit said: “I feel really sorry for FC Utrecht – and I can understand they are going to have a legal battle.

“I am not sure that they will win their case, but whatever scenario the Dutch Federation would have picked would have seen a number of clubs take a legal fight.

“They have chosen a solution that will hurt the least amount of clubs.

“FC Utrecht were also sixth in the table, just three points behind Willem II – and they have a game in hand and a better goal difference.

“So it's incredibly harsh that they are missing out on a European ticket.

“Had that game been played, they may have been in Europe. I would be sick if it was my club.”

Gullit added: “It doesn't matter what court or judge deals with these cases, it is going to be difficult to change the decision.

“The courts will realise that this is an unusual situation and that the country is in a state of emergency.

“Stadiums will not open and there is no football possible in the country for more than four months.

“So it is impossible to do something like let Ajax and AZ Alkmaar play a game to decide who should be the champions.”

Source: Read Full Article