Ajax manager Erik Ten Hag’s stance on Newcastle job following mega takeover

Newcastle's transformation into the richest football club in the world is unlikely to tempt Ajax boss Erik Ten Hag into becoming the Magpies’ new manager.

Amanda Staveley and her fellow directors are taking their time in appointing a successor to Steve Bruce with Graeme Jones having been told he’ll be in the dug-out for Saturday’s St James’ Park sell-out against leaders Chelsea.

But Ten Hag is not thought to be interested in a vacancy which has created interest across the football world.

A poll of over 25,000 fans has revealed Paolo Fonseca, who held talks with the board last week, is the popular choice to spearhead the Saudi revolution on Tyneside.

Of the votes cast, 23 per cent want the ex-Roma chief to become the next Toon boss with Antonio Conte in second place with 16 per cent of the vote.

Eddie Howe, Roberto Martinez and Steven Gerrard all polled over 2,000 votes with Ten Hag’s name not appearing in the initial list of contenders.

In the survey conducted by the Chronicle newspaper, 86 per cent agreed the decision to part company with Bruce was the right one.

And following the Saudi-backed takeover, 66 per cent believe Newcastle will avoid relegation and finish in mid-table despite them still searching for their first win of the season.

One manager who would love the chance to take charge on Tyneside, even on a short-term basis, is ex Napoli coach Gennaro Gattuso, whose playing career included a spell in Scotland with Rangers.

Gattuso has told the Italian media, he would even be willing to take charge until the end of the season.

Who do you think Newcastle's new manager will be? Let us know in the comments section

Don't miss a thing with our football updates!

Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?

Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox – don't miss a thing.

How do you sign up?

It only takes a matter of seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.

And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.

You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.

While the club have pledged to splash the cash and strengthen the squad when the transfer window re-opens in the New Year, Staveley has struck a cautionary note by warning supporters recruitment mid-season will not be easy.

Newcastle are aware that most of their top flight rivals will be reluctant to sell to a club, who can now afford virtually any player in the world.

And Staveley is aware that would-be sellers will inflate the price of players when the Magpies come calling.

“The January window is not the best time,” she said. “The best window is always the summer.”

Source: Read Full Article