Curtis Scott has slammed Canberra for leaking details of his previous indiscretions, claiming the “low act” is proof the club doesn’t care about the mental health of its players.
Scott is weighing up the possibility of lodging an unfair dismissal claim against the Raiders after his contract was torn up by the club following a recent assault charge.
The club released a statement on Monday saying after that “careful consideration”, the board had concluded Scott’s “prior behaviour and recent assault charge had brought the club into disrepute”.
Further details have since emerged of Scott’s issues in the nation’s capital, with News Corp reporting he was involved in a physical altercation with John Bateman last year at a team function. Scott is said to have suffered a hand injury that forced him to miss several games.
It prompted Scott to take to social media to accuse the Raiders of not considering the mental welfare of its players.
“I opened up about extremely personal information regarding my mental health and current struggles, I have just lost what feels like everything to me and I can’t understand why Canberra have continued to kick me while I’m down and now leak in house information that was dealt with over a year ago regarding a former player,” Scott said on Instagram.
Curtis Scott has been sacked by Canberra following a series of indiscretions.Credit:Getty
“The club has nothing to gain out of this, but hopes of reasoning for their lack of support. In my opinion it’s a low act and they have shown and proved that they have no real care factor for players welfare.
“It’s not the first time this has happened to a player at the Raiders that has come out about mental health struggles.
“Lastly, a massive thanks to everyone for all of the supportive messages, it really does go a long way to help in times like these.”
Scott was charged by police in August after footage allegedly showed the Raiders centre in a fight with another man at a Canberra nightclub.
Scott’s lawyer Sam Macedone is now exploring the option of filing an unfair dismissal claim via the Fair Work Commission, as well as considering his legal options.
Macedone believes Scott’s sacking was unjust given that his client has admitted to struggling with his mental health.
“He told me to go ahead and give it some thought and let him know what I think, and we will make a decision in due course,” he said. “Everything is on the table at this stage.”
Scott has not played for the Raiders since round 12 having signed a four-year deal with the club at the end of 2019. He was fined $15,000 by the NRL and handed a three-game ban over the nightclub incident.
Sports news, results and expert commentary. Sign up for our Sport newsletter.
Most Viewed in Sport
From our partners
Source: Read Full Article