Danny Care returns to the England team for series decider with Australia as Ollie Chessum and Lewis Ludlam replace injured duo Maro Itoje and Sam Underhill in Sydney
- Eddie Jones has made three changes for England’s series decider in Sydney
- Scrum-half Danny Care handed the No 9 jersey ahead of Jack van Poortvliet
- Maro Itoje and Sam Underhill are replaced by Ollie Chessum and Lewis Ludlam
- England levelled the series with win in Brisbane after defeat in Perth
England have made three changes for the series decider against Australia, with scrum-half Danny Care recalled to the starting line-up.
Care has been handed the No 9 jersey ahead of Jack van Poortvliet, adding his experience for the finale in Sydney.
There are two injury-enforced changes in the pack, with Ollie Chessum and Lewis Ludlam taking over from Maro Itoje and Sam Underhill.
Danny Care comes into the England team for the deciding match against Australia on Saturday
Jack van Poortvliet drops out of the side in order for Care to offer greater experience
‘We’ve had a squad of 36 this tour who have competed hard and we’re really proud of their efforts,’ said head coach Eddie Jones.
‘We go into this Test with a strong squad of 23. It’s a young, inexperienced but together group who have developed well throughout this series.
‘We want to play with purpose and energy to win the series and an historic Test match at the Sydney Cricket Ground.’
Outside of Care, England’s back-line remains unchanged. Having levelled the series in Brisbane, Jones is hoping the Marcus Smith-Owen Farrell dynamic can fire England to victory.
A smiling Eddie Jones pictured in training at Coogee Oval in Sydney ahead of the third Test
Leicester’s Ollie Chessum also comes into the team for the series decider at the SCG
Guy Porter, Tommy Freeman, Jack Nowell and Freddie Steward have all kept their places, with youngsters Will Joseph and Henry Arundell continuing on the bench.
Other than the injury changes, the pack also remains untouched. Billy Vunipola and Courtney Lawes combine alongside Ludlam in the back-row.
Ellis Genge, Jamie George and Will Stuart retain their front-row combination for the third Test running.
England XV to play Australia
15. Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 12 caps)
14. Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 41 caps)
13. Guy Porter (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap)
12. Owen Farrell (Saracens, 96 caps)
11. Tommy Freeman (Northampton Saints, 1 cap)
10. Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 12 caps)
9. Danny Care (Harlequins, 86 caps)
1. Ellis Genge (Bristol Bears, 38 caps)
2. Jamie George (Saracens, 68 caps)
3. Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 22 caps)
4. Ollie Chessum (Leicester Tigers, 4 caps)
5. Jonny Hill (Sale Sharks, 14 caps)
6. Courtney Lawes (C) (Northampton Saints, 95 caps)
7. Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 13 caps)
8. Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 63 caps)
16. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 36 caps)
17. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 69 caps)
18. Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers, 4 caps)
19. Nick Isiekwe (Saracens, 7 caps)
20. Jack Willis (Wasps, 3 caps)
21. Jack van Poortvliet (Leicester Tigers, 2 caps)
22. Will Joseph (London Irish, 1 cap) *apprentice player
23. Henry Arundell (London Irish, 2 caps) *apprentice player
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article