Saudi Arabia F1 track still not finished just two weeks before penultimate Grand Prix

Lando Norris reveals the advice Lewis Hamilton gave him

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Concerns are surrounding the competition of the new Jeddah track in Saudia Arabia after Formula One chiefs revealed the latest images of progress in preparation for the inaugural race in two weeks’ time. 

F1 cars are scheduled to hit the track for the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix in just 10 days’ time, but concerns have been raised it may not be finished on time at the Jeddah Corniche Circuit.

The battle between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen is set to continue in Jeddah, with just eight points separating the two at the top of the standings before the season finale in Abu Dhabi.

The circuit is the second-longest on the Formula One calendar, but reports suggest the build is still ongoing, and organisers are going to be “up against it” for the penultimate race of the season.

With such a big job on their hands, the track may receive further development over the next year in preparation for F1’s return in 2022, with the construction of the track and paddock buildings.

JUST IN:
FIA doubles down on penalty procedure after delays for Lewis Hamilton 

Speaking to Autosport, F1 sporting director Steve Nielsen recently said: “It’s an ambitious project, it will be a great facility.

“They’re up against it, they are. But they’re literally working 24/7 as they have been for quite a long time now. I saw some more photos this morning, and they’ve made huge progress. But still, a lot to do.

“So it really is going to be down to the wire. But they’ll get it done. Everything we need to put the race on safely we’ll have, I’m confident of that.”

DON’T MISS:
Hamilton’s disagreement with the FIA after Verstappen controversy
Lewis Hamilton had ‘different spec’ car in Qatar as Bottas lifts lid
Mercedes dumbfounded by Lewis Hamilton brilliance at Qatar GP

Over the weeks leading up to the race, bosses concluded it will go “down to the wire,” but added they were confident it would be ready for the race to go ahead on 5 December.

F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali said: “The track will be done, the priority we know is there,” he said.

“But you will see the level of show that they’re going to bring there too. They are all excited, a lot of work has been done. So it’s really good.”

Meanwhile speaking earlier in the month, the FIA race director Michael Masi added: “As I said last week, I’m confident that it will be ready,” he said. “The fact that it’s a three-hour flight it became quite convenient just to go there and have a look.

“It was always going to be very close. There’s no doubt about that. Everything that I’ve seen, the progress day-on-day and week-on[week has been amazing since I was there last, and looking forward to having a look on Tuesday.”

Source: Read Full Article