Romain Grosjean is determined to not let his horror crash in the Bahrain Grand Prix and burns sustained end his F1 career prematurely, his team boss has revealed.
The Frenchman was involved in a terrifying collision on the third turn of the first lap, with his Haas car split in half before bursting into flames.
But the racing driver was able to walk away from the accident, sustaining minor burns on his hands and feet that saw him taken to hospital.
While he has already been ruled out of Sakhir Grand Prix in the same country this weekend, Grosjean is determined to be back for the finale.
Gunther Steiner, Haas’ team boss, said on Monday: “The aim is Romain really would like to do the race in Abu Dhabi (on December 13).
“I told him try to get better and we will speak on Sunday or Monday and see how he feels and if it is doable.
“We will cross that bridge when we come to it. I'm not in a hurry to decide what to do, or what is needed because it depends on his health.
“He is just trying to get better to be in the car in Abu Dhabi. That is his aim, and that shows that he wants to keep on doing it.”
Grosjean has a contract with Haas that expires at the end of the seasons, with speculation emerging on his future.
After a 10-season career on the grid, he has previously spoken about Peugeot’s Hypercar programme for the World Endurance Championships.
But his latest Instagram post showed the Frenchman performing squats with heavy bandages on his wrists.
Today's top sport stories on Daily Star
Accompanying the snap, he wrote: “Never thought that a few body weight squats would make me happy. Body recovering well from the impact.
“Hopefully same about the burns on my hands. Thank you again to everyone for the messages.
“Ps: still very slow at typing.”
Grosjean is not the only F1 racer who will be missing the Sakhir Grand Prix as champion Lewis Hamilton tested positive for Covid-19 following the weekend’s race.
Source: Read Full Article