F1 confirms the Chinese Grand Prix WILL return to the race calendar

F1 confirms the Chinese Grand Prix WILL return to the race calendar after agreeing new deal to stage the Shanghai event through until 2025… but it still won’t be staged next season due to the country’s Covid restrictions

  • The Chinese Grand Prix will remain on the Formula One calendar until 2025
  • It comes following the announcement of a new deal with the Shanghai race
  • The race has been absent from the schedule for the past two years due to Covid
  • But the fixture, first introduced in 2004, remains in the sport’s long-term plans 

The Chinese Grand Prix will remain on the Formula One calendar until 2025 following the announcement of a new deal.

The race in Shanghai has been absent from the schedule for the past two years, and will not form part of next season’s record-breaking 23-round calendar either following coronavirus restrictions.

But the fixture, first introduced in 2004, remains in the sport’s long-term plans.

Chinese Grand Prix will remain on the Formula One calendar until 2025 following a new deal

March 20 – Bahrain (Sakhir)

March 27 – Saudi Arabia (Jeddah)

April 10 – Australia (Melbourne)

April 24 – Emilia Romagna (Imola)

May 8 – Miami

May 22 – Spain (Barcelona)

May 29 – Monaco

June 12 – Azerbaijan (Baku)

June 19 – Canada (Montreal)

July 3 – Great Britain (Silverstone)

July 10 – Austria (Spielberg)

July 24 – France (Le Castellet)

July 31 – Hungary (Budapest)

August 28 – Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps)

September 4 – Netherlands (Zandvoort)

September 11 – Italy (Monza)

September  25 – Russia (Sochi)

October 2 – Singapore (Marina Bay)

October 9 – Japan (Suzuka)

October 23 – USA (Austin)

October 30 – Mexico (Mexico City)

November 13 – Brazil (Sao Paulo)

November 20 – Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)

Commenting on the contract extension, F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali said: ‘This is great news for all of our fans in China and we are delighted to announce this agreement that will see us racing in Shanghai until 2025.

‘While we are all disappointed we could not include China on the 2022 calendar due to ongoing pandemic conditions, China will be restored to the calendar as soon as conditions allow and we look forward to being back with the fans as soon as we can.’

It was announced last month that Imola would be replacing the Chinese Grand Prix on the calendar next year, taking over the vacated slot on April 24, 2022.

As Sportsmail reported last month, the season will be a record 23 races long, with the inaugural Miami Grand Prix taking place on May 8, after the FIA World Motorsport Council ratified the schedule. 

In a break with tradition, the Monaco race will be held over three days rather than the usual four.

The British Grand Prix at Silverstone is due to be held on July 3. 

Bahrain will host the opening round of the new campaign on March 20, with Abu Dhabi the stage for the concluding event exactly eight months later.    

The 2022 schedule will bring added strain on the sport’s travelling circus, with seven back-to-back races, two triple headers, and six races in seven whirlwind weeks following the August break. 

F1 will also undergo a major overhaul of it regulations next season in the hope of producing closer racing, while CEO Stefano Domenicali has stated his desire to stage sprint races at as many as eight events. 

‘We are excited to announce the 2022 calendar as we prepare to enter a new era for the sport,’ said Domenicali in October. 

The Chinese Grand Prix was dropped from next year’s Formula 1 calendar last month

‘This season has been incredible so far with great battles on the track, large audiences tuning in and fans returning to the races after the impact of the pandemic.  

‘We look forward to welcoming more fans back next season and hope 2022 feels more normal than the life we have all experienced in the past two years.

‘We are very pleased with the interest in Formula One from places that want to host races and the growth of the sport, and believe we have a fantastic calendar for 2022 with destinations like Miami joining famous and historic venues. 

‘The pandemic is still with us, and we will therefore continue to be vigilant and safe – to protect all our personnel and the communities we visit.’ 




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article