Silverstone boss Stuart Pringle says the Government's decision about saving the British Grand Prix will "take a few weeks" – but he remains optimistic about the outcome.
And in a huge boost to the circuit's chances of hosting a double header this summer, it emerged on Monday that Boris Johnson has intervened to ensure the showpiece can go ahead as planned.
F1 had been hoping to host back-to-back races at Silverstone on July 26 and August 2 in an attempt to salvage a season which has been ravaged by the coronavirus crisis.
But those plans were dealt a huge blow last week when the Government announced that personnel travelling from abroad will be required to isolate for 14 days on arrival from June 8 onwards.
However there is still hope F1 staff will be given an exemption to rules on a strict quarantine designed to limit imported cases of Covid-19.
And it is understood Johnson has stepped in, with the Government performing a remarkable U-turn.
The Prime Minister is reported to have charged culture secretary Oliver Dowden to “make Formula 1 happen”.
"We are still liaising with the Government but I am encouraged that there is progress," Pringle told Sky Sports.
"It will take a few weeks for the way to become clear but it definitely feels we are moving in the right direction."
The current proposal has two double headers pencilled in to kick off the 2020 season – starting with two races in Austria in early July and followed by two more held at Silverstone.
And Pringle says there is flexibility to host races at the home of the British GP, widely regarded as F1's showpiece and most famous race.
Source: Read Full Article