The rumoured Saudi Golf League has gained momentum this week, with reports now suggesting that a group of Donald Trump-owned courses – including Turnberry, Scotland – could well play host to the event.
The potential plans for a breakaway golf league have no doubt caused plenty of unrest in the golfing world, as the series looks to be a fresh alternative to the long-standing and notorious PGA Tour.
However, reports from No Laying Up suggest that despite the opposition, the plans for the series are now taking shape and a number of courses owned by the Trump name could well play host.
The most notable course on that list is former Open venue Turnberry, which has played host to one of golf’s most prestigious prizes on four separate occasions.
A number of the game’s biggest names have battled it out for the famous Claret Jug on the Scottish links.
DON’T MISS: Tiger Woods’ iconic Masters putter set to sell for a staggering £730,000
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
No more so than in 1977 when two of the greats, Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson faced off on a memorable Sunday that was aptly nicknamed the ‘Duel in the Sun’, as Watson went on to win his second Open Championship.
However, the famous course has since been removed from the Open rota by the R&A following its links to the former President, and will remain that way whilst Turnberry stays under the Trump name.
Now the Scottish course finds its name in deeper controversy after being linked as a possible host for the contentious Saudi League.
The league’s plans looked to have made strong progress this week, after it was reported that golfing great – and former Open champion at Turnberry – Greg Norman is set to be named commissioner for the new circuit.
MORE GOLF NEWS
Fredrik Andersson Hed dead: European Tour champion dies aged 49
Race to Dubai standings with a month to go and how much they stand to win
Rory McIlroy reveals he was ‘done with golf’ before clinching 20th PGA Tour title
GolfWeek also added that a number of media members attended a private meeting in New York regarding the Saudi plans, with details set to be officially announced next week.
It is understood that a number of the world’s best golfers have been approached to take part in the mega-money series, including Bryson DeChambeau, Dustin Johnson and Phil Mickelson.
Whilst the controversial league has tried to poach some of the world’s biggest games, PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan has made his stance on the series extremely clear, as the Telegraph reported players could be banned from the PGA Tour, and potentially even the Ryder Cup if they accept.
One man who has continuously been opposed to the idea is four-time major winner Rory McIlroy, who slammed the plans earlier this year.
In February McIlroy said: “The more I’ve thought about it, the more I don’t like it.
“The one thing as a professional golfer in my position that I value is the fact that I have autonomy and freedom over everything that I do.
“If you go and play this other golf league, you’re not going to have that choice. I’ve never been one for being told what to do, and I like to have that autonomy and freedom over my career, and I feel like I would give that up by going to play this other league.”
Source: Read Full Article