Whyte ready to step in and fight Wilder in Fury's place says Hearn

Dillian Whyte is ready to step in and fight Deontay Wilder in Tyson Fury’s place, according to promoter Eddie Hearn… after Gypsy King’s positive Covid-19 test in Las Vegas sparked postponement of their heavyweight clash on July 24

  • Eddie Hearn said Dillian Whyte is ready to step in and fight Deontay Wilder
  • Wilder’s fight with Tyson Fury is off after Gypsy King tested positive for Covid
  • Whyte is meant to fight in August but Hearn said he’s ‘ready’ to fight on July 24

Eddie Hearn has announced that Dillian Whyte is ready to step in and fight Deontay Wilder after Tyson Fury’s shock withdrawal from their upcoming fight after testing positive for Covid.

The boxing world is still reeling from the Gypsy King’s revelation that he and three members of his team tested positive for the virus, meaning his July 24 date for a third showdown with Wilder has been postponed. 

The multi-million dollar clash, due to take place at the T-Mobile Arena on the Las Vegas strip, now probably won’t happen until early October – putting Fury’s huge unification fight with Anthony Joshua back once again.

Eddie Hearn (left) said Dillian Whyte (right) is ready to step in and fight Deontay Wilder

Tyson Fury has had to pull out of his July 24 fight with Wilder after testing positive for Covid

Boxing promoter Hearn reacted to the news by revealing that he had spoken to British heavyweight Whyte and that he is keen to fill in for Fury and maintain the fight date.  

‘Spoke to Dillian Whyte – he is due to fight end of August but ready to jump in July 24 v Wilder’, Hearn tweeted early on Friday morning. 

Hearn had previously announced that Whyte was likely to fight in late August in the US, but had not named an opponent.   

Fury was set to face the Bronze Bomber on July 24 in a highly-anticipated trilogy match up 

Whyte, who is back in the world heavyweight title picture after regaining his position as the No 1-ranked fighter with the WBC following his knockout victory over Alexander Povetkin, has been chasing a fight with Wilder for years.

Were the fight to go ahead there is no love lost between the fighters, with Whyte most recently tearing into Wilder for being a ‘p***y’ and a ‘coward’ over a video of Wilder struggling to bench-press 310lbs (140kg).

Whyte filmed his own video easily lifting the same weight and ruthlessly mocked Wilder’s weightlifting performance. 

Whyte ruthlessly mocked Wilder’s video by filming himself easily lifting 310lbs in the gym

Fury’s withdrawal from the Wilder bout has plunged plans for his super-fight with Anthony Joshua into further disarray. 

Joshua and Fury were finally schedule to meet in Saudi Arabia this mid-winter, assuming Fury crushed Wilder a second time in Vegas and Joshua repelled a mandatory challenger for his belts from Oleksandr Usyk in Tottenham Hotspur’s stadium in September.




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article