Tyson Fury’s promoter Frank Warren insists securing a trilogy fight between Derek Chisora and the Gypsy King was the BEST option… as Anthony Joshua’s team ‘wasted a lot of time’ before rejecting a December showdown
- Tyson Fury is scheduled to fight Derek Chisora for the third time in December
- The Gypsy King initially wanted to fight Anthony Joshua but the Brit declined
- Promoter Frank Warren has urged that Chisora was the best option on the table
- Warren revealed they ‘wasted a lot of time’ because of the hesitancy of AJ’s team
Frank Warren insists a third fight with Derek Chisora was the best option on the table for Tyson Fury in December following the breakdown in talks with Anthony Joshua’s representatives.
Eight years on from a one-sided rematch victory which seemingly ended their rivalry once and for all, out of nowhere Fury is now poised to lock horns with Chisora again in a trilogy bout which has drawn widespread scrutiny from the boxing public.
At the age of 38, and having lost three of his last four contests, Chisora is viewed by many as an unsatisfactory challenger for the Gypsy King, who will be an overwhelming favourite to retain his WBC heavyweight title on December 3.
Frank Warren urged that securing a third fight with Derek Chisora was Tyson Fury’s best option
He was forced to turn to Del Boy after a proposed super-fight with Joshua collapsed earlier this month, despite the former unified champion accepting his offer of a 60/40 purse split to battle it out at Cardiff’s Principality Stadium on December 18.
In the end the two parties were unable to finalise an agreement – and while also leaping to the defence of their decision to face Chisora, Warren has claimed that Joshua and his team never wanted the Battle of Britain to take place.
‘The fight never happened with Joshua because they didn’t want it,’ Fury’s promoter said on Thursday.
The Gypsy King will face Chisora in December eight years on from his dominant rematch win
‘Frank Smith did an interview on IFL yesterday and he said it’s too soon – I wish they’d have told me that a month before the talks.
‘We wasted a lot of time, so now we’re gonna go down the rankings. And I’ll read them to you like I did at the press conference.
‘You go down BoxRec and you’ve got the No 1 [Oleksandr] Usyk, not available, Joshua, not available, Deontay Wilder, fought at the weekend, Andy Ruiz, he’s fighting Wilder now in a final eliminator, Dillian Whyte he’s beaten, Joe Joyce, not available, he only fought a few weeks ago and he’s on holiday, [Luis] Ortiz got beat and wasn’t available, Joseph Parker got beat by Joe – the next one is Chisora and then [Kubrat] Pulev, who [Chisora] knocked out.’
Warren claimed that Anthony Joshua and his team never wanted a fight between AJ and Fury
At the press conference to officially unveil his clash with Chisora, Fury whipped out £10,000 in cash and held it aloft before revealing the money was in fact winnings from a bet with Warren.
The bet? That Joshua wouldn’t fight him next.
Though while the collapse gifts Fury an easy opportunity to boast that his domestic rival has retreated, does Warren place the blame on AJ’s team rather than the fighter himself? ‘I don’t know what went on there. They all said they wanted it and at the end of the day, they didn’t. I know if it wasn’t Tyson he would’ve just told me make it happen.
‘Like he was telling you, he cost me £10,000, a £10,000 bet, because I really genuinely thought it was gonna happen. And then the penny dropped that it wasn’t.’
With Joshua off the cards, Fury now plans to brush Chisora aside for a third time to set up an undisputed blockbuster against Oleksandr Usyk, who holds the three other recognised world heavyweight championships, in late February or early March.
Joshua was the favourite to face Fury in December in a ‘Battle of Britain’ showdown in London
However, despite criticism directed at both he and Fury over this perceived mismatch, Warren is not taking Chisora lightly and expects him to more than play his part in a swashbuckling encounter on December 3.
‘There’s more at stake now,’ he said. ‘It’s for a world title. They’ve both changed in the last eight years, I think they’re different fighters from back then. Tyson’s even said himself he’s more of a boxer now. You’ve seen him in his last few fights, he comes out and goes toe to toe with guys, and Derek has changed his style as well.
‘I think it’s gonna be an absolute banger. The pair of them are gonna be throwing bombs at each other, but I expect Tyson to win and I think he beats any heavyweight in the world.
Oleksandr Usyk – who beat Joshua in August – is not available to fight Fury until at least 2023
‘As Tyson said himself, Derek gave Usyk lots of problems and it was a very narrow decision again. When you look at that and you look at when he fought Dillian Whyte, I thought he won the first Dillian Whyte fight and the second one he was winning until he got clipped. He’s coming off a good win too against Pulev.
‘So what do I think about Derek? He’s not gonna outbox Tyson, but I think he is gonna do what he thinks is appropriate for this fight, and I think the only way he can go is have a tear up with him.
‘I think he’s gonna come out throwing bombs. That’s what he’s gonna have to try and do. He can’t stand off if he wants to have a war, he’s gonna have to come forward and that’s the only way I think he can beat him.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article