Anthony Joshua ready to do 'it all again' after Usyk loss
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Tyson Fury’s co-promoter Frank Warren has labelled Anthony Joshua’s stunning defeat to Oleksandr Usyk as ‘heartbreaking’. A dream unification bout between Joshua and The Gypsy King is up in the air after Usyk’s dominating win at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Saturday night.
Joshua lost his WBA, WBO and IBF belts via unanimous decision against the Ukrainian, with the judges scoring it 117-112, 116-112, 115-113.
Usyk was participating in just his third professional heavyweight fight before a crowd of 65,000 fans roaring on his opponent.
Joshua and Fury signed a two-fight contract earlier this year before the latter was contractually obliged to face Deontay Wilder in a trilogy fight.
The two were expected to pick up where they left off after their respective outings, but Joshua’s one-sided defeat has put a spanner in the works.
JUST IN: Eddie Hearn vows Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury WILL happen
Warren has poured doubt over the prospect of Joshua taking on Fury, claiming the latter would have ‘destroyed’ him if the fight went ahead.
He told BBC Sport: “I don’t see it happening now. If it did happen, what would Tyson have done to him? It wouldn’t have gone 12 rounds.
“Tyson would have destroyed him. Absolutely. The unification fight was there, such a big fight. Heartbreaking.
“What would Tyson Fury had done to Joshua? A better chin, bigger puncher.”
Tyson Fury mocks Anthony Joshua with eight-word message after loss
Anthony Joshua offered advice by Lennox Lewis after Usyk loss
Anthony Joshua to lose out on mega £100m-plus pay-day
Warren compared Joshua’s demise on Saturday night to his humiliating defeat to Andy Ruiz Jr. in June 2019.
“Usyk is a good fighter, he boxed extremely well. But that was my thing about this fight – Joshua is so vulnerable. He’s been like that for ages,” Warren added.
“I thought Joshua would be too big for Usyk, but I knew if he was there at the end, then he’s been outboxed. Usyk nearly had him over at the end.
“He was gun shy. Never let his hands go. They can talk all they want about rematches. He’s just been totally exposed like he was against Ruiz.
“How can he be getting out jabbed by Usyk, who was taking the fight to him? I was shocked at that. Even if he was to beat Usyk, what is Tyson Fury going to do to Joshua? You’d have your house on Tyson beating him.”
Follow our new Daily Express Instagram page HERE
After the fight, Matchroom Boxing chairman Eddie Hearn assured fans that Fury and Joshua would battle further down the line.
However, he admitted Joshua’s entire focus is currently on reclaiming his world title belts against Usyk.
He told iFL TV: “By the way, AJ-Fury will happen – unquestionably. I still hope Fury wins in a couple of weeks. Right now, the focus is on Oleksandr Usyk – it has to be.
“He [Joshua] wants to fight for another four or five years but he’ll want to win his belts back – he’s a proud champion.”
Source: Read Full Article