Tyson Fury’s father John claims Dillian Whyte pulled out of Otto Wallin fight due to him

Tyson Fury 'has his mental health under control' says Paris

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

John Fury holds himself responsible for Dillian Whyte withdrawing from his heavyweight clash with Otto Wallin last month. Whyte, 33, was aiming to cement his status as the mandatory challenger to the WBC title currently held by John’s son, Tyson Fury, but pulled out of his scheduled bout with the Swede due to a shoulder injury.

Initially, it looked like another huge blow to Whyte’s hopes of finally landing a world title shot, but ‘The Body Snatcher’ has seemingly been given a reprieve with the WBC set to rule that his withdrawal has not affected his status as the no 1 contender.

Champion Fury, who last month came through his epic trilogy fight with Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas, is expected to be ordered to start negotiating an all-British clash with Whyte for early 2022.

And the father of ‘The Gypsy King’ has dismissed Whyte’s injury claims, instead crediting himself for the fight – that was due to take place at the O2 Arena on October 30 – being called off.

John had initially said that taking on Wallin was risky for Whyte, given if he lost it would scupper his chances of finally getting the title chance he craves.

JUST IN: Anthony Joshua told about perfect Rob McCracken replacement before Oleksandr Usyk rematch

“Dillian Whyte has pulled out from Otto Wallin. You know why? He listened to what I said,” Fury, 57, told BT Sport.

“He’s thought: ‘Hang on a minute, John knows his stuff, I’m not fighting Wallin. I’m going to get turned over probably, I won’t get my title shot then.’

“It takes them to listen to my videos, and then he hears me talking about Wallin, because Wallin is a danger to anybody.

Indeed, the Fury’s themselves know all about the potential of Wallin, 30.

He went the distance with the Manchester man in September 2019, a bout that ended with a unanimous decision in favour of the British fighter, but only after he had to nurse a nasty cut above his eye for much of the night after Wallin struck him early on.

Whyte has long sought a bout with Fury though, and on his Twitter page, his pinned post remains a tweet from June 2020 that labels his rival a coward and references his claims he once knocked him out in sparring.

The Brixton man was mandatory challenger then but in August that year, he suffered a setback when he was knocked out by Russian fighter Alexander Povetkin. 

He duly got revenge with a convincing win in the rematch seven months later, and now a bout with Fury seems inevitable given Anthony Joshua and Oleksandr Usyk are tied up negotiating their rematch.

In the build-up to his fight with Wilder last month, Fury did say he’d be prepared to fight Whyte by the end of 2021, providing the challenger didn’t ask for ‘stupid’ money.

“Dillian Whyte, that’s gonna happen. I’m gonna splatter him for sure,” he bragged.

Source: Read Full Article