Tyson Fury was 'badly injured' going into Deontay Wilder trilogy

REVEALED: Tyson Fury was BADLY injured going into his trilogy bout with Deontay Wilder and needed chromosome injections in both his elbows… and he’s since undergone a SIX-HOUR operation to fix the issues

  • Tyson Fury stopped Deontay Wilder in their historic trilogy bout in October 
  • But father John has now revealed he was carrying serious injuries into the fight  
  • He states Fury was afforded just three-and-a-half weeks of full training 
  • And the Gypsy King has since undergone a six-hour surgery on his elbows 
  • Fury is now training brother Tommy for his December 18 clash against Jake Paul 

Tyson Fury was carrying serious injuries into his historic trilogy bout against Deontay Wilder and was afforded just three-and-a-half weeks of full training, his father John has revealed. 

The Gypsy King ended his long-term rivalry with Wilder in ruthless fashion, surviving two heavy knockdowns before stopping the American in the 11th round of their October match-up. 

Fury, who made the first defence of his WBC strap with the victory, once again abandoned his more customary box-and-move style, instead taking the fight to Wilder, who put in a much-improved performance under the guidance of new trainer, Malik Scott.    

There were four knockdowns in total throughout a frantic affair, in which both were seemingly exhausted after just a few rounds, with many since labelling the clash as an all-time classic.

Wilder received widespread praise for his courageous performance despite falling to a second successive defeat, but Fury insists the American was simply up against a totally unfit opponent. 

Tyson Fury stopped Deontay Wilder in the 11th round of their historic trilogy bout in October

But his father, John Fury, has now revealed his son was carrying serious injuries into the bout

‘It wasn’t a boxing match was it. Tyson was very badly injured going into that fight,’ he told BT Sport Boxing.

‘He had to have chromosome injections into both elbows. He’s since had an operation, six hours all day in hospital having them sorted out.

‘I think he had some bone spurs that he had to get removed, he was handicapped from the beginning. The boxing side of it went out the window because I knew he was going to be like that from early on.

‘When I seen the look on his eye, I just knew he wanted to seek and destroy. That’s what he did and believe me, it was exciting for the paying public, probably one of the most exciting fights you’ll see. 

‘But boxing wise, he didn’t do nothing he trained on. They couldn’t have trained for that, could they?’ 

Fury managed to survive two heavy knockdowns as he ended their long-term rivalry in style

Despite his injuries, Fury finished the contest in ruthless fashion with one final right-hand

Elbow injuries weren’t the only drastic issues facing Fury in the build-up to the event, with the now-undoubted heavyweight king also testing positive for Covid in July, when the trilogy bout was initially scheduled to take place.

Subsequently in August, Fury welcomed a sixth child into his family as his wife, Paris, gave birth to a baby girl, Athena.  

Fury nearly lost his daughter, who was placed into an intensive care unit following her birth, however. The Gypsy King was made to delay his training camp to be with his family, who then remained at home in Morecambe during the final days leading up to the fight.    

Fury has previously opened up to Sportsmail about the trauma of the event, with his father now revealing just the extent to which the champion’s training was impacted. 

Fury was made to delay his training camp after daughter Athena was placed into intensive care following her birth 

‘To be honest, I think he only had about three-and-a-half weeks to train for it,’ Fury added. ‘When I was in hospital in Liverpool with him, he couldn’t have been any lower. 

‘To go from there four weeks later and do what he did, he’s moving mountains this man. Was he fit? No, not at all.

‘I wasn’t going to say anything different, I was saying: “You’ve done this, you’ve done that, son.” 

‘I was trying to be positive. But in my mind I knew that truth that he was only 50 per cent of what he should be because he had too many problems. He had Covid in July when it was first meant to take place, then he had problems with his daughter. 

‘You can’t get your head straight from that within weeks – and that’s what he did. To perform like he did? 

‘I could see it was ring-rust, 20 months out the ring and he thought: “To hell with the boxing, it’s not going to work, let’s have it, let’s have a war.” It was a thrilling affair, but it shortens careers, doesn’t it?’ 

Up next for Fury will most likely be Dillian Whyte back in the United Kingdom, but for now he’s training brother Tommy for his December 18 clash against Jake Paul.  

Share this article

Source: Read Full Article