Frank Warren says Tyson Fury won't fight Anthony Joshua until February

‘It pushes a fight back until February’: Frank Warren says coronavirus outbreak means Tyson Fury won’t fight Anthony Joshua until NEXT YEAR

  • Tyson Fury’s showdown with Anthony Joshua may now take place next February 
  • The anticipated ‘Battle of Britain’ fight has been postponed due to coronavirus 
  • The ongoing pandemic has disrupted both Joshua and Fury’s planned fights 
  • And the changes to the calendar means the pair will now likely face off next year 
  • Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

Frank Warren believes that Tyson Fury’s undisputed heavyweight title fight against Anthony Joshua will not take place until next February.

Fury’s promoter, along with Top Rank, revealed that the unification bout has been pushed back because of the ongoing coronavirus crisis. 

The promoters were initially hopeful that the much-anticipated ‘Battle of Britain’ showdown would be held in December, but the global health emergency has severely disrupted the sporting world’s calendar.

Frank Warren believes Tyson Fury’s showdown with Anthony Joshua will take place next year

Fury’s promoter was hopeful of a clash in December before coronavirus disrupted the calendar

Newly-crowned WBC heavyweight champion Fury confirmed his spectacular comeback to the ring after battering the previously unbeaten Deontay Wilder from pillar to post in Las Vegas.

But Wilder’s entourage then triggered the rematch clause penned into the multi-million deal, meaning that the formidable American puncher and Fury will face off again for a trilogy fight. 

That bout was planned for July 18, but has now been rescheduled for October 3 due to the escalating pandemic.

Fury returned to the top of boxing after beating Deontay Wilder ahead of their trilogy bout

Anthony Joshua is also set to defend the WBO, IBO, WBA, IBF heavyweight titles against mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev, but the contest appears increasingly likely to be moved to July.

And as a result of the postponements, Warren has admitted that Joshua will have to wait until after the turn of the year to take on Fury.

He told The Mirror: ‘They’ve locked down Vegas and the commission has said no boxing.

‘We need the time to do the Wilder fight justice in terms of promotion, it won’t go on till the autumn.

And with Joshua still yet to face Kubrat Pulev, the ‘Battle of Britain’ fight has been moved back

‘The problem you have is also the training camps if they can’t do them properly, they can’t get in sparring partners from around the world.

‘Fighters also need a date to be fully focused on. They want to be at their peak for a date so they need a date to train towards, we can’t give them any dates.

‘It is a blow as we would have liked to have got it done in the summer but it is what it is.

‘The whole country is in the same boat, everything has gone on hold.’





Share this article

Source: Read Full Article