Offbeat news from the world of sport
Eddie Hearn has tweeted a screenshot of the message he sent Dmitry Bivol five years before he defeated Canelo Alvarez.
On Saturday, at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Bivol pulled off one of the biggest upsets in recent years by beating Alvarez by unanimous decision after a 12-round contest. All three judges made it 115-113 for the 31-year-old. And the Essex-born promoter, Hearn, 42, posted a grab of the direct message he had sent to the Russian fighter’s manager Vadim Kornilov, saying on Tuesday: “I slid in @VadimKTeam @bivol_d DM’s nearly 5 Years ago,” along with eye and laughing emojis.
The message he had sent said: “Hi Vadim…I would like to talk to you about Bivol.” And online users reacted to the news that Hearn had been in there before the champ rose to the top.
One wrote: “And 5 years later, you were absolutely gutted that he won the biggest fight of his life.”
Another said: “And you spent all of last week, (metaphorically speaking), up the r** of Canelo and you was very upset with Bivol winning on Saturday.”
A third stated: “Eddie is now jumping on Bivol's lap. He lost AJ his biggest cash cow and now his brand has taken a hit."
Do you think Alvarez and Bivol will have a rematch? Let us know in the comments section below
Meanwhile, Andrey Ryabinskiy, promoter for the WBA light heavyweight champion, says that Bivol could still improve and has not even peaked yet.
We have definitely seen one of the greatest fights from Dmitry, but to say it was the best would mean to devalue his abilities and his ambitions. I do believe his best is still ahead," Ryabinskiy told Sky Sports.
"I'd say the preparation process will take at least from four to five months. And the place for the fight is still to be decided, but most likely it will be in the US."
Source: Read Full Article