Dillian Whyte to face Alexander Povetkin in much-anticipated rematch in November after the Body Snatcher suffered shock loss to Russian last month
- Dillian Whyte will fight Alexander Povetkin in an enticing rematch in November
- Whyte was knocked out by Russian Povetkin in the fifth round last month
- The British heavyweight was handed a 28-day medical suspension after the bout
- Whyte’s world title hopes had been left in tatters after suffering a brutal loss
Dillian Whyte will fight Alexander Povetkin in an enthralling rematch in November as the British fighter has announced the bout will be confirmed this week.
There were doubts the rematch, in which Whyte was knocked out by Povetkin in the fifth round last month, would go ahead after the British heavyweight was handed a 28-day medical suspension.
The Brixton fighter’s world title hopes had been left in tatters after suffering a brutal loss against Povetkin and is currently out of action until September 23.
Dillian Whyte (left) will fight Alexander Povetkin in an enthralling rematch in November
The British fighter has announced on Twitter that the fight will be confirmed this week
The British Boxing Board of Control imposed the ban on Whyte – which also prohibits him from sparring – but he has been given the go ahead for the fight to take place in November in London.
Whyte posted on Twitter: ‘Fight news drops tomorrow walking straight back into the fire I want all the smoke let’s go baby.’
The Body Snatcher’s promoter Eddie Hearn gave us a clue what date the fight will take place as he told IFL TV: ‘There’s not many in boxing that honour contracts and honour obligations and their word.
Whyte was knocked out by Povetkin (front) in the fifth round last month in their first fight
‘Andrey Ryabinksiy, Vadim Kornilov and World of Boxing, even if we didn’t have a contract, and we had a shake of the hand or an agreement, they would still do it.
‘These are proper, proper people. They don’t want to wait till February/March so we will go November 14, or November 21.’
Whyte had been controlling the first fight and had Povetkin on the canvas twice before the Russian detonated a powerful uppercut in the fifth round.
The defeat saw Whyte relinquish his No 1 challenger spot with the WBC and put any of his world title ambitions on the backburner.
Povetkin holding the WBC Diamond Belt Title after causing an upset against Whyte in August
Had he prevailed against Povetkin, Whyte would have been in a position to challenge the winner of Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder’s trilogy fight for the WBC title but now must win the rematch to re-enter the picture for a title shot.
Fury’s promoter Frank Warren has however warned the 32-year-old Brit that rushing back to face Povetkin again is a ‘crazy decision’.
‘I’m a bit surprised they’re talking about trying to get it on in November,’ he told talkSPORT.
‘Straight away when you get knocked out, the British Boxing Board of Control give a minimum 28/30 days before you can even get back into the gym and resume sparring.
Frank Warren warned Whyte that rushing back to fight Povetkin again in November is ‘crazy’
‘But when you get a bad knockout, and that was a bad knockout, sometimes they extend that to maybe 45 days.
‘To be saying they’re gonna put that fight back on again in November is crazy.
‘Anybody around Dillian Whyte – and I’m sure Dillian would fight him tomorrow – but anyone around him needs to protect him and ensure that doesn’t happen.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article