Tyson Fury 'has his mental health under control' says Paris
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Dillian Whyte said “you can never bank on anything Tyson Fury says,” and has doubts over whether his British rival will agree to fight him. Whyte, 33, is set to be made the mandatory challenger to Fury’s WBC crown, which would pave the way for a world-title shot against ‘The Gypsy King’ in 2022.
It’s a bout that Whyte has long publicly craved, and a match-up between the pair was expected to take place if ‘The Body Snatcher’ won his scheduled fight with Otto Wallin on October 30.
That clash however, was called off when Whyte sustained a shoulder injury in training, and Fury’s co-promoter Bob Arum then stated it was futile to make plans for the proposed all-British bout until the Brixton man had got past the Swedish fighter.
However, the WBC are now expected to allow Whyte to abandon plans of rescheduling, and reaffirm his position as the no 1 contender to Fury’s belt.
“The Tyson Fury fight is a fight that I wanted, it’s a fight I tried to get before,” he was quoted as saying in The Sun.
JUST IN: Anthony Joshua shares coaching update and admits he’s ‘done with f***ing losing’
“(It was) Mandated for belts and it didn’t happen. And fortunately for me now, it seems like it’s gonna go ahead.
“But you can never bank on anything Tyson Fury says. Because he might say, ‘You know what I’ve had enough I don’t want to fight anymore.’ Or he might say, ‘I need a longer rest.’
“He’s had three hard fights with Deontay Wilder. We don’t know how much they have taken out of him.
“So we’ll just have to wait and see.”
Eddie Hearn gives update on whether Anthony Joshua has split from coach Rob McCracken
Microwave signed by Chris Eubank Jr reaches £66,000 on eBay – ‘That escalated quickly’
Otto Wallin breaks silence on cancelled Dillian Whyte fight
The bad blood between Whyte and Fury, also 33, has been evident for some time, with the former’s pinned Tweet dating back to June 2020 when he claimed his former training partner had avoided facing him.
“Gypsy Tyson Fury. Coward always conning the public you forget I’ve put you down lots before & watched you pathetically sobbing on the canvas you ran away last year when WBC Boxing ordered you to fight me anytime anywhere anyhow #FakeTyson #Coward,” it reads.
Whyte, who went on to say it would be a “major fight” if the pair could fix a venue in the UK, suffered a setback in his world title hopes in August 2020, when he was knocked out by Alexander Povetkin.
He duly took revenge seven months later though, stopping the Russian in the fourth round and a fight with Wallin, 30, would have represented a first since that clinical win.
Fury had previously pledged to ‘splatter’ Whyte before the end of 2021.
Speaking in the build-up to his trilogy fight with Deontay Wilder, he said: “Let’s hope he doesn’t start asking for stupid money that don’t exist, because if he asks for stupid money, then he don’t want the fight.
“So you heard it here, we’ll do Wilder on October 9, we’ll do Dillian Whyte sometime in December, that’s definitely gonna happen, I’m gonna splatter him for sure.”
Source: Read Full Article