Deontay Wilder has confirmed he will keep his long-time trainer Mark Breland on his team for the rematch against Tyson Fury.
Wilder was taking heavy punishment from Fury for seven rounds of their rematch in Las Vegas before Breland called an end to the fight by throwing the towel into the ring.
Jay Deas, who is Wilder’s head coach, did not agree with the decision while the Bronze Bomber was furious with Breland for stopping the contest.
Earlier this week, Wilder admitted that he was seriously considering firing Breland, who he has worked with since he turned professional in 2008, from his team.
But in a statement on Friday night, Wilder appeared to retract his decision by confirming that Breland is still part of his set-up.
‘I’m a warrior. I feel the same way I felt on fight night, if I have to go out I want to go out on my shield,’ said Wilder.
‘But I understand that my corner and my team has my best interest at heart.
‘Mark Breland is still a part of Team Wilder and our team looks forward to preparing for the rematch.’
In a separate message to fans on Instagram on Friday night, Wilder reiterated that he will invoke his rematch clause and vowed to win back the WBC heavyweight title he lost to Fury.
‘I will be back. We will hold our heads up high. Your king is in great spirit,’ said the 34-year-old.
‘We will rise like a phoenix from the ashes and regain the title.
‘I’ll see you in a few months, for the war has just begun.’
Meanwhile, Top Rank chief Bob Arum has earmarked July as a potential date for the rematch, which will be held in the United States.
Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Source: Read Full Article