Anthony Joshua announces fight with Oleksandr Usyk
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Anthony Joshua has promised he will do everything he can to fight British nemesis Tyson Fury – and offered four venues in the United Kingdom to host the bout. Joshua is gearing up to fight Oleksandr Usyk at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on September 25.
The Brit, whose WBA, WBO, IBO and IBF world titles will be on the line against the Ukrainian, has not fought since his win over Kubrat Pulev in December 2020.
He is nearing the end of an intense camp that saw the 31-year-old become much leaner as he has seemingly opted for speed against Usyk.
Ahead of his clash with the Ukrainian, Joshua vowed to fight Fury and suggested his camp will do everything they can to secure a deal.
Their proposed bout – reportedly initially scheduled for August 14th 2021 – fell through when an arbitration ruled in favour of Deontay Wilder, forcing Fury to fight the American for a third time.
JUST IN: Anthony Joshua warned he is ‘perfect opponent’ for Oleksandr Usyk
“We were meant to have fought by now and here we are talking about it,” Joshua told the Daily Mail.
“But it will happen. I know what people are saying about boxing politics, but I’ll promise before the end of my career I will have done everything in my power to fight Tyson Fury.
“I just think in 100 years all this stuff will be irrelevant, and honestly, I don’t let it bother me too much. I love boxing history, right. Rocky Marciano, Joe Louis, Max Schmeling, Dempsey, Ali, Jack Johnson — fighters have had major issues in boxing.
“For me, this is mine.
Oleksandr Usyk’s promoter claims Anthony Joshua is sabotaging himself
Tyson Fury sends warning to Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder
Donald Trump commentates on farcical boxing match
“We saw it with Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao (not fighting until they were beyond their primes) but that was a superstar fight.
“Me and Fury is streets, two warriors, two fighters who have come from the amateur system in the UK, and have taken the world by storm.”
When Fury announced a deal between the two parties had been agreed back in Many, he suggested the fight would take place in Saudi Arabia.
The idea that a clash between two British fighters would take place anywhere else other than the UK left a bitter taste in the mouths of many fans – but Joshua insisted their highly-anticipated fight will go down in front of a domestic audience.
“We’ll get it on in Britain,” the 31-year-old declared.
Follow our new Daily Express Sport Instagram page here
“Don’t worry about age, boxing politics, don’t worry about the American dollar. This is a British UK fight which can happen at Wembley, Tottenham, the O2, York Hall.
“I look at it less as a mega-fight for the world and more from the point of view that we are guys who first met in Finchley ABC.
“It is a grassroots fight.”
In the deep interview, Joshua added he thought boxing was better in the past, citing the mutual respect between rival fighters.
The Brit praised Usyk and said he respected his opponent next week before criticising Fury: “Let’s not use each other’s name to pull him down to lift me up. We don’t need to do that.”
Joshua clashes with Usyk in their world heavyweight title bout on September 25 while Fury defends his WBC title against Wilder in the third instalment of their grudge trilogy on October 9.
Source: Read Full Article