The third fight is on! Tyson Fury’s promoter CONFIRMS Deontay Wilder has activated the clause that allows the defeated American to try and win his titles back from the Gypsy King
- Deontay Wilder has triggered rematch clause and will fight Tyson Fury again
- Fury’s promoter in the US, Bob Arum, says fight will be in the ‘middle of July’
- British fighter took Wilder’s WBC heavyweight title in Las Vegas last weekend
- After first fight ended in a draw, they will meet for the third time in the summer
- Arum also warned Anthony Joshua not to underestimate Kubrat Pulev
- The 30-year-old Brit is set to fight the Bulgarian in London over the summer
Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury will complete their trilogy after the Wilder camp officially triggered his rematch clause.
Fury’s promoter in the United States, Bob Arum, confirmed the heavyweight rivals will meet again in July.
Arum told Ringside Reporter: ‘Wilder and his representatives formally notified us last night that they have accepted the rematch and are going forward.
Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder are set to fight for a third time in the ‘middle of July’
Fury celebrates his brilliant seventh round stoppage of Wilder in Las Vegas last Saturday
Wilder and Fury are now set to fight for a third time this summer after the clause was triggered
‘It’s going to happen in the summer, before the Olympics. Middle of July.’
The pair drew their first fight in 2018 before Fury stopped Wilder in the seventh round to win the WBC heavyweight title in Las Vegas last Saturday.
Wilder had 30 days to call for a rematch and now his camp have ‘formally notified’ their intention for the deposed world champion to step into the ring with Fury for a third time this summer.
It will delay the prospect of an all-British heavyweight unification fight between Fury and Anthony Joshua, who holds three belts.
Joshua is now expected to fight the Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev in a mandatory IBF bout in London in June.
Wilder, 34, came out with a string of excuses for his defeat to Fury, the most bizarre of which was his 45lb ring walk costume, that apparently ‘weakened’ his legs.
Wilder had previously blamed the weight of his ring walk outfit for his poor performance
He was also thrown off balance by a cut in his ear and was left furious at his trainer Mark Breland for throwing in the towel in the seventh round.
Breland, who has worked with Wilder since he entered the professional ranks in 2008, was sacked as a result of his decision.
Wilder had issued a very strong hint that he would trigger the rematch clause in a video posted on social media on Saturday.
He promised to ‘rise like a phoenix from the ashes and regain the title’.
Wilder added: ‘Your king is here and I’m not going anywhere, for the way has just begun.
‘I’m a king that will never give up and will fight to the death. I am a warrior, I am strong and I will be back.’
Wilder has vowed ‘the war has just begun’ following his defeat by Fury last weekend
The Bronze Bomber was battered from pillar to post in a resounding defeat in Las Vegas
In a 90-second video clip, Wilder said he will ‘rise like a phoenix from the ashes’ to regain belt
Arum also works with Pulev and warned Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn that the Bulgarian will be the one fighting Fury at the end of the year.
He said: ‘I told Eddie Hearn, I said “stop looking at a Tyson Fury fight this year. You’ve got to fight Pulev in June and Joshua is going to get knocked on his a***.
‘I guarantee you that Pulev will knockout Joshua like Tyson Fury knocked out Wilder.
‘So, yes, I will look to make a Pulev-Fury fight to unify all the belts by the end of the year, but Mr Hearn will have nothing to do with it.’
However, Arum added: ‘If Joshua beats Pulev and Fury beats Wilder, then why not do a Joshua-Fury fight at the end of the year.
‘And we would certainly then sit with Eddie and work it out. So everybody is saying the same thing. But again, these fights have to play out first.’
Source: Read Full Article